Project Payment Assurance

Hi all.

Lately i am working on a game project and its two person project which i do the programming and engine side and the other guy does modeling design and sound engineering.

Also we work remotely. And we werent able to make a contract since we are far away. What i want is an assurance that i will get my payment.

What should i do. What do you suggest. It is my first time working remotely in a project. Is there anything like electronic contract or what.

Thanks in advance.
You could write a contract, send it to him by email, have him print it out, sign it and then send it by mail back to you.
I would consult with a lawyer as they would probably have more information. Anyways, from my understanding it would be better to have them or you sign some sort of document and have it notarized so they can't say they didn't sign it.
Definitely write up a contract. Without it you have nothing, at least in the USA.

Some random thoughts:

There is always some degree of trust that's required. Can you get partial payment for work done so far?

Your collateral for payment is the source code. If you are worried about getting paid then start delivering binaries.

I did some contract work and specified delivery like this: when I delivered the code the customer had 30 days to test it. During those 30 days, bug fixes cost 50% of the normal hourly rate. When he found a bug, the 30 day clock restarted. After 30 days of no reported bugs, he accepted the code and further changes would cost the full hourly rate. I explained that this arrangement gave me a strong incentive to deliver quality code up front, and gave him a strong incentive to thoroughly test the code. It worked out really well.
I searched if there is a way of making e-contract. But couldnt find any.

It seems i need a paper contract after project developed to certain degree.

I will try consulting to a lawyer.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.