Teenage Growth(Puberty)

Judging by the title you probably already guessed I am a growing teenager trying to learn to programme and get into the industry

I'm going through some changes like all teenagers

I'm doing fine my only concern is...
I started puberty when I was 11 and I went from 4 foot 11 or maybe 5 foot to 5 foot 2-3 im guessing this was a growth spurt as my shoe size grew from size 3 to size 6 also I now fit into men clothing

The only thing I'm so stressed about is I'm still short for a man and I already had my first growth spurt do I get another one ?
How many growth spurts did you get when you were a teenager
And how old were you and what height did you grow up to

Main question
Will I get taller in 13 had my first growth spurt now I'm bit taller than 5 foot 2 do you think I still will grow

Also those the programming industry judge jobs by height and average height to look good in programming meetings

Sorry I know these are alot of questions but I'm stressed becuase
I got eye sight problems and I am short
I have no experience and I'm the only boy in my family also I got facial hair at 12 only a little moustashe and chin hair which I trimmed to a 0 three times to get rid of the little hairs

If some could help me out I would be grateful
Your main question depends a lot on genetics. I think you might get taller, but then again I'm not 100 percent sure. It doesn't matter. Depending on your future job, usually how tall you are doesn't effect you much in the real world. As long as your hygiene isn't terrible, and you don't do something stupid online or get in trouble with the law, you'll be fine later when you look into getting a job. Don't stress over it. It's honestly a waste of your time.
Yeah height is irrelevant unless you want to be like a pro nba player.
Somewhat unrelated tangent rant:

People underplay the importance of being attractive. While not strictly required, being attractive and charming does improve not only the odds of getting hired, but also greatly improves how people treat you in general. It's not politically correct, but it's a reality of human society -- and the sooner you learn it, the better.

Though as far as factors for attractiveness goes -- height is not exactly high on the list... (as long as you're not super tall or super short) so I wouldn't worry about it. Besides... you can't do anything about it anyway -- and there's no sense in worrying about things you can't control.

You don't have to be a super-model or anything. But definitely keep yourself presentable and be kind and charming to people. Even if you lack the natural looks, personality can go a loooong way. Looks make a first impression -- personality makes a lasting impression. Both are important.

Anyway... what was I talking about? This reply turned into a huge ramble. Sorry.

EDIT:

I didn't learn this until I was in my 20s, FYI. I was kind of a slob in high school and didn't really care about appearance. I thought worrying about how you looked was "stupid and superficial". Man if I could slap some sense into my younger self....

EDIT 2:

It's not purely superficial, either. Bad personalities can wreck havoc on a workplace environment. Being able to get along with people and getting them to like you is a huge plus for employers for very practical reasons.
Last edited on
+1 for Disch.

About the topic: My height grew til I was 16. It goes slowly decreasing.
Disch wrote:
height is not exactly high on the list (as long as you're not super tall or super short)

Unfortunately this is not true.

Taller people earn more money: http://www.livescience.com/5552-taller-people-earn-money.html
Taller men are more attractive to women: http://news.rice.edu/2014/02/10/is-height-important-in-matters-of-the-heart-new-study-says-yes-2/

It's still worth developing your personality and dressing well if you are ugly or short; it's better to be a short and ugly but charming and well-dressed man than short, ugly, charmless and poorly dressed.

Important:
* Having a good personality does not mean being nice all the time; it means being assertive but not aggressive, confident but not arrogant, friendly but not a push-over, funny but not a clown, etc. (the recurring theme being moderation). Don't worry too much about this, if you're putting in a little effort, it will come with time. Don't expect to become perfect overnight (or ever) because that only leads to pain. Also, in my experience, it seems to pay off more to be interesting but mean/arrogant/whatever than boring and having a good personality. If you have exciting or "cool" hobbies and interests but you treat people poorly, they'll probably still like you more than the guy who's nice to everyone but never has anything interesting to say. That's not to say you should be mean or arrogant, but you should develop your personality for your own sake, not for other people.

People will tell you that "being cool" stops being important after high school but that's not true in my experience; the "high school mentality" never really ends, it just becomes more subtle. Most people never seem to grow up. On the plus side, it is true that most of the girls who turn you down at 16 will be ugly at 25, so don't get hung up on them. Although it's also important not to be bitter ;)

* Being well-dressed does not mean wearing a suit and fedora all the time (in fact don't wear a fedora ever unless you're acting in a noire film); it means wearing clothes that fit well (a lot of people get this wrong, including me because I have a disproportionately short torso and can't be bothered getting my clothes tailored or doing it myself), colours that match (just search on Google how to colour co-ordinate, but don't overdo it because it looks weird when everything is perfectly matched) and, if you must wear patterned clothing, make sure the patterns don't clash.

Avoid graphic t-shirts when you're over 20 but don't wear a full suit casually if you're under 40. Oh, and one of the worst mistakes young guys make is trying to grow facial hair and ending up with wispy "beards" and ratty "moustaches" that make them look ridiculous. Avoid growing facial hair until you get to the point where you have noticeable stubble within 24 hours of shaving. For some men, that day never comes, so you might have to be clean shaven until the day you die or get so old you just stop caring.
Last edited on
You may find the CDC growth chart interesting: http://www.cdc.gov/growthcharts/data/set1clinical/cj41c021.pdf

At 13 years of age, the median height is about 5'1". That means half the boys are taller and half the boys are shorter.

If you keep yourself neat and are confident in your skin, people will notice. Get some exercise. Don't worry about how tall, worry about the sort of person you're becoming. That matters a whole lot more.
dhayden wrote:
At 13 years of age, the median height is about 5'1". That means half the boys are taller and half the boys are shorter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you confusing median for mean? The median is the middle-most actual value, the mean is the value that bisects the dataset, even if it doesn't actually appear in the data. Then again, for a continuous, normally distributed variable they're probably the same.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you confusing median for mean? The median is the middle-most actual value, the mean is the value that bisects the dataset, even if it doesn't actually appear in the data.

No, the Median is the correct term; 50% of data is lower or equal to the median and 50% of the data is higher or equal to median. The mean can be skewed depending on the distribution of the data:

[0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 1500] : Median 3 (0, 1, 2 lower; 4, 5, 1500 higher), Mean ~216 (1500 higher, others lower).

The mean bisects the total weight of values. The median bisects the number of data entries, which is the relevant metric in this context.

Then again, for a continuous, normally distributed variable they're probably the same.

Every statistician in the world just suffered a minor stroke.
Height is normally distributed, so shouldn't the mean be exactly in the middle? And height is continuous, so isn't the number of data entries effectively infinite (since height expressed as a real number, and there are infinite real numbers between each real number)? The dataset is only finite in the specific experiment referred to, and that's a practical limitation, not a fundamental one.

Gaminic wrote:
Every statistician in the world just suffered a minor stroke.

I didn't realise this forum's outreach was so great.
Thank you for all the replies
I am more concerned on fixing my eye sight then my height but I would really like to know if I could grow up to 5 foot 8 if I'm 5 foot 2 and had a growth spurt to get there will I have another one

Also height is important in a job as it links to how well dressed you are certain sizes in clothes won't fit perfectly and mite be baggy if I'm still short in 5 years time

Thank you for any help
Also I really hope to have a eye surgery to fix my eye sight :/ I get alot of glares but I my cataract haven't grown them they won't operate
Also median is the value in the middle that's what I learned atleast
For example
1 4 7 9 3
Put them in order
1 3 4 7 9

4 will be the median value
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.