Help me with this assignment please

7-In DOS, a file can allocate:
a) one physical block b) two physical blocks c) three physical blocks d) many physical blocks
8-In a Disk operating system(DOS), the access to a disk file is done through:
a) the index table b) the FAT table c) the address table d) the modules table

Ehh... not so familiar with this particular os. Can someone please tell me what the correct answers are and why by any chance? Thank you very much =)
No. No one here will do any part of your homework for you.
And why's that? Is it like a policy or something? I'm just asking for help, gotta surrender this thing in on thursday, little help would be nice. I solved over 22 questions, i'm just stuck at these two, the DOS is really futile anyway.
Implicit policy. It takes away the learning experience. I'll help you find resources on the matter, however. Will edit this post when I find something suitable.
Questions are ambiguous as they do not state which version of which variation of DOS. It's bad enough that you're being forced to study an OS that literally no one uses for their main OS anymore, but to teach it to you wrong on top of that is infuriating.
I think both of these questions can be answered by reading a little about the FAT file system.
@Computergeek, i know it's dreadful. Gotta be familiar with the history of the operating systems so they say, i'll just pick some random answers for these two i don't really care, i got the rest right anyway. It's just general concept, we're not going so in-depth into these old systems or anything. Just a basic idea of what they were and how they used to function. For example a DOS is a non-graphical line-oriented command operating system, they used it for this and for blah blah blah random gibberish i'm not interested in, but we have to make it past the basics to get to the good stuff eh? ;) anyway, thanks for your help guys, i'm just gonna circle whatever my awesome intuition tells me, like a baws.
Last edited on
I feel I was short with you and you were undeserving of it. Looking back, this feels well like a place where an exception to the implicit rule could be made. I aporogize
Last edited on
The sad thing is that DOS was not a very good operating system and there were plenty of others that would be much more interesting to know.
You can learn just as much from studying a bad operating system as from studying a good one.
The sad thing is that DOS was not a very good operating system and there were plenty of others that would be much more interesting to know.

Such as?
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Such as?

TOS, CP/M, Mac OS, OS/2...?
Plan 9
Isn't Plan 9 exclusively for distributed systems?
I think so, but I think it can be used for a single node just as easily.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.