Pdfs online

I recently just came across some PDF files online by simply just typing the name of a book through Google. This got me thinking, is downloading a pdf file of a book illegal? By downloading I don't mean using sites like Piratebay or any peer to peer file sharing site, I mean simply using the Google search results to find an open PDF file of a particular book.

If it is illegal, then why does Google have them as search results. And how many of you guys download pdf files from Google.
By downloading I don't mean using sites like Piratebay or any peer to peer file sharing site, I mean simply using the Google search results to find an open PDF file of a particular book.

The medium by which the download occurs doesn't matter at all. Downloading via google does not make anything any more or less legal than downloading via torrent.

is downloading a pdf file of a book illegal?

It depends entirely on how its being distributed.

If it is being distributed for free with the copyright holder's consent, then it's fine.
If it is being distributed by someone else without the copyright holder's consent, then it's probably illegal.

If it is illegal, then why does Google have them as search results.

Google is largely automated. They have bots that crawl all over the web and index it. They'd have to manually step in and remove something that's illegal. It's possible they just didn't notice yet. And/or they don't care.

And how many of you guys download pdf files from Google.

I don't think I've ever gotten any books off Google.
@Disch thanks for the heads up.

I knew it was too good to be true, but no worries. I prefer physical copies of books anyway.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.