Mobile App Designing Software

Can you guys recommend any free software for Mobile App Designing? Just designing, no creating.

Thanks in Advance
What type of apps are you looking to design? If you are looking for a good mobile game framework I would highly recommend Cocos2d-x (The C++ port).

It provides all the tools you need to develop a mobile game (Even can be used for other mobile apps) on android or iphone (Though of course you will need a Mac and pay the developer fees) and is actually quite easy to use once you get the hang of how the framework works.

The only downside that I don't really care for in Cocos2d-x is that they try and bring some of objective-c's memory management into the C++ port (Probably to make it easier to port game from the objective-c version and easier to learn). Mainly they try and emulate automatic memory management with memory pools and auto released objects (Through the use of a single base class). Though while it can be annoying at first it isn't that bad after you get the hang of it.

So again for game development or other real time rendering mobile app I would highly recommend this framework.

Otherwise there is always QT which has some pretty good mobile support which they seem to be expanding even more. QT would be my go to mobile app framework for C++ when the app doesn't involve much real time rendering.

Other then that if you have a specific idea for a mobile app let us know and I am sure we can give you more specifics on which frameworks would work the best for you needs.
Thx just like a form submission app
Yeah then I would probably check out QT and QTCreator which is it's IDE which includes a visual form designer.
Keep in mind that if you plan to sell your software you'll have to pay for Qt. (It looks like they've moved to a monthly payment plan.)

Z e r e o, do you have a good link for starting with Cocos2d-x? I downloaded and installed it some time ago but couldn't make heads or tails of it.
Last edited on
@Duoas

Personally I picked most of the basics of it up from this book here. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CITNP8A?btkr=1

It is mainly one of those books that goes through creating a bunch of little game examples and doesn't really go into that much detail on what everything does. But it did help me figure out how to structure a game with the framework and after I had that basic knowledge I was able to figure out how everything worked by reading through the documentation and just testing things out.

Though if you do get that book I should say that it uses code that is deprecated now that 3.X is out, but it is pretty easy to figure out what to use instead by looking at http://www.cocos2d-x.org/reference/native-cpp/V3.0alpha0/da/d58/deprecated.html and also most of the source code of the deprecated stuff shows what to use instead in the comments. It also doesn't really use good C++ code but that can also be changed also I got mainly just to see how to structure a game with the framework.

Other then that I am not really sure about free resource like tutorials that are available since I haven't really looked for them :(.

Though here is a github of one of the projects I created with it if you want to have a look. All the platform independent code will be in the Classes folder and all the platform specific code will be in Win32 folder. https://github.com/bjumbeck/SkyDefense . The repo only hosts the win32 version of the game but it is coded in a way that it can easily support the mobile platforms just by adding a few platform specific stuff.

It is mainly just quick and dirty code and I mainly put everything in a single class GameScene.hpp but should give a decent idea of how a game can be structured with the framework. I included everything including the libs in the projects so may take a bit to download but should compile and run on windows VS2013 right of the bat if you have that.

But anyways hopefully that can help a bit since yeah it is kind of a hard framework to learn in the beginning since it is kinda big.
Last edited on
Thanks a ton!
Guess what I just found: http://kivy.org/
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.