Our IRC channel is moving to Freenode!

Heya, all. We now have a channel on the Freenode IRC network! We're there as #cplusplus.com, and people are steadily moving from the old channel.

A few of you may know about #cplusplus on Quakenet. It's a relaxed and significantly smaller community than this forum. Well, recently (actually, about 6 hours ago), we've decided to migrate to Freenode and retire the old channel. There are several reasons for doing so, namely:

*A memo service (send people messages while they're offline).
*Optional nickname reservation (to prevent people from stealing your nickname).
*Better channel management tools (we may not have to write a bot after all).
*Sub-channels (by owning #cplusplus.com, we own all channels of the format #cplusplus.com-*).
*SSL connections (Quakenet doesn't support SSL, for questionable reasons).
*Reduced restrictions on how many connections one can make (on Quakenet, if you make 5, even if some of those connections are dead, you get an automatic network-wide ban).
*A more programmer-based community at large.
*Access to a C++ compilation bot that's newer and better updated than what we have on Quakenet.
*Better connection for some compared to Quakenet.
*No Q bot (which had a tendency of netsplitting and leaving the channel without proper management tools).

Small warning, #cplusplus isn't us. ResidentBiscuit managed to nab that channel, but people were joining thinking it was a redirect to ##c++. So we've decided to go with #cplusplus.com instead.

Join us! EDIT: For those using webchat, Freenode also offers webchat at https://webchat.freenode.net

-Albatross

Le Small Print: Sometimes we do get a little bit nuts in that channel. That's part of the spirit. It's a place where we can relax and not worry about being prim and proper as long as we're not hurting anyone. Just a warning if that's not your sort of community atmosphere.
Last edited on
*A memo service (send people messages while they're offline).

wtf? ive been using lambdabot

(we may not have to write a bot after all).

idc what you say... me and residenbiscuit are writing teabot and it will be awesome
Man, I haven't been on IRC for ages. What ever happened to that card game?
i dont want to talk about it :(
its empty :/ ... oh wait quakenet ...

also rabbitologist??

I just so happen to be a rabbit expert, if your up to it, I challenge you to a rabbit knowledge duel, I believe I will win
Last edited on
devonrevenge wrote:
I just so happen to be a rabbit expert, if your up to it, I challenge you to a rabbit knowledge duel, I believe I will win
This is why I don't join IRC.
LB wrote:
This is why I don't join IRC.

Whats wrong with having a bit of fun from time to time? Can't be serious all the time ;p.
I had fun once. It was awful.
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
Whats wrong with having a bit of fun from time to time? Can't be serious all the time ;p.

Absolutely nothing, try telling that to the IRC's OP
chrisname wrote:
I had fun once. It was awful.
This.
Just reconnected after disconnecting from the internet for a sec. No other users online. Confirm it's not a glitch?
I see everyone online right now.
I'm with LB on this one...
you are just upset because you argued with everyone on the channel and couldnt accept you were wrong
closed account (18hRX9L8)
Hello, I would just like to put it out there that to set up MemoServ so it emails you memos when you are offline, use /NS SET EMAILMEMOS ON.
Last edited on
Hello, I would just like to put it out there that to set up MemoServ so it emails you memos when you are offline, use /MSG MemoServ SET NOTIFY MAIL.

Apparently it is actually /ns SET EMAILMEMOS ON
closed account (18hRX9L8)
ResidentBiscuit wrote:
Apparently it is actually /ns SET EMAILMEMOS ON

Edited. Thanks :D
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.