super smart brother !

Hey,
My little brother, about 5 years old, is super smart, he seems to have a talent in math and language. I want to invest in teaching and educating him. what are some of things that you think are worth the time and money to teach him ?
If you want to see if he is interested in programming you might want to try out teaching him with Scratch http://scratch.mit.edu/ . It is simple enough for young kids to learn and still teaches the fundamental logic of programming.
Just be careful about pushing too hard trying to get him interested in, or to learn about specific things. It can backfire and cause negative associations. You can encourage one thing or another, but you shouldn't be too imposing.
I have to agree with htirwin. By all means give the kid access to learning resources, and if he shows interest in something specific then encourage him to take it further.
I think a healthy imagination is invaluable for many reasons, including this quote
"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."
-Albert Einstein.
At his age I would seriously recommend a crap-ton of fiction. Bedtime stories can go a looong way. Off the top of my head (trying to think in the right age bracket) I would recommend the works of Dr Seuss, and Grimm's Fairy Tales (see if you can find the complete works of both).
In a few more years he maybe introduce him to Harry Potter, Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, The Hobbit, and The Lord of The Rings. I'll also give an honourable mention to Joseph Delaney's Spook series.
You don't have to limit yourself to these books, if they get read, go to the library (or bookshop) and get some more.
If you want to read to him you might want to look up some basic voice acting techniques.
In terms of actually teaching him things I can't think of any specific recommendations, but you should be able to find some good education activity books/video games. I remember as a kid "playing" a safari video game, it was kind of like an interactive David Attenborough special (without Attenborough), I don't remember what I learned from it but it was loads of fun.

Anyway, good luck with creating a genius child :)
Last edited on
Teach him Haskell.

If he learns it successfully at age 5, rename him Alonzo Church II.
Last edited on
closed account (EwCjE3v7)
There is also http://code.org/, Which is a nice place for him to start.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.