Your proudest work to date.

Pages: 12
Oh, then that woks
@Luke Leber: You somehow managed to link to the mobile version - this is the desktop version for anyone that needs it:
https://plus.google.com/photos/116741526010375708873/albums/6068416258817135697
Fully sentient AI. I'll release it in 2130 A.D.
Why make one when you can become one?
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
@LB

I don't subscribe to an internet service at home so I only go online @ the shop on my mobile. Thanks for the fix.
Luke Leber wrote:
A bulldozer that is capable of traveling 45mph.
Now that is cool!

Only had it up to 25 at 1/2 throttle...anything above that and things will break.
New machines you can get up to around 30 mph before the foreman starts threatening you with termination.

You mentioned the cash and time you spent on the car, but where'd you get a bulldozer that runs? And how much did you spend on it?

('Cause I'm dying to get my own.)
http://home.comcast.net/~michaelthomasgreer/about/index.html

Oh, edit:

My proudest works to date are lost on crashed hard drives, which will cost me $480 to retrieve. Someday I'll either get enough cash or just rewrite the programs.

I'm also pleased when I have good, simple things that are written really well, or solve a difficult problem fairly elegantly.
Last edited on
@Duaos

Back in the 1980s my uncle blew the motor up in his Oliver. The core was destroyed with a grapefruit size hole in the side of the block where a rod came out. Back then a new motor for the thing was going to be around $2,000 so the dozer was dragged into a field and forgotten about until 2014. So really all I had to start with was the tracks, transmission, and frame.

The motor mounts, supports, braces, and almost all other external parts were fabricated in my shop from both new steel stock and scrap that my grandfather collected. Having heavy scrap probably easily saved $1,000.

I'll strip everything down again when I get the fenders and hood finished and run through the whole process on video with an itemized budget. Its been a fun redneck engineering project...and really not as difficult as it seems if one has all the right tools and equipment.

So I guess the dozer transmission frame, and tracks were a freebie and the car was also a semi-freebie, as it was going to be scrapped after all of the work I had put into it for my brother when he was going to college. Oh, and if this motor blows up I can get them for $100 a piece from any local salvage yard - a far cry from $2,000.

PS. I need a website to act as a sort of portfolio. I think your site finally made me realize that.
Last edited on
Holy crap! An Oliver!

(Disclosure -- the first time I clicked on your link I only got three small thumbnails, but now I get a page of sweet photos, including your videos.)

I can't believe that thing's gasoline powered. I'm not sure I wouldn't drive a few things over without a decel pedal, LOL.

Also, that thing must have been put to some heavy use before, the grousers are worn down to almost nothing.

It must be sweet to have a shop like that to play in. :O)

(BTW, did your uncle not put oil in it or something? How'd he manage to throw a rod?)
He bought it used with a knock if I recall...originally had a 4 cyl gas in it that ran at 2,400 rpm. New motor can run at 11,000 if I take out the rev limiter...no torque at idle but fast and fun. Its not a work machine anymore, just a toy.
When you put the cover back on you've got to paint the thing green, with bright yellow or orange tracks, and maybe some flames.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12