Coding as a career

Pages: 12
Hellolo!
I've searched around for topics like this, but no topic really answered my questions good.
What languages should I learn?
I've understood that you should know more than 1 language, ATM I know a bit of C# and some C++. Not very much though. The language "list" I have now is;
C, C#, C++ and java.
Is there any languages I should learn more than that? Or is any of these unnecessary?
University, one or more languages?
Should I go to a university with one main language or several languages?

Info about me:(might help with suggesting what languages I should learn)
I'm very good at mental arithmetic(calculating mach in my head, do you spell it that way?), I'm from Sweden, a lot of free time, I learn stuff very easy

Thanks in advance!
Last edited on
The languages you mentioned are good enough. I would recommend you pick one language first and stick with it until you have mastered it, then move on to another of the listed languages.
After a while picking up a new language is second nature. It's especially easy if you've got a knack for linguistics (in my experience, that is). Rather than learn a bunch of languages from the start. Learn on well and learn the concepts that you will need to understand to be a successful programmer. Remember, programming isn't computer science. Programming is to comp sci as star gazing is to astronomy, and the language is your telescope.
Thanks for the answers! ATM I will focus on C++, then Java, C# and at last C.
Also, is it necessary to learn HTML, php or MySQL?
Necessary? No. advantageous? Maybe.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Motherflufferr, what area of programming are you interested in? By that I mean things like embedded/real-time programming, system programming, business applications, mobile/phone apps, gaming, etc.
ATM I'm into reverse engineering, system stuff as reading memory etc, because I like challenges as bypassing anti cheats, making a program run in kernel mode, and so on. I'm not good at explaining, but the shortest explanation what I like to do: challenging stuff with small, useful, unnecessary and/or fun functions.

Does that answer your question? ^^
Last edited on
Sounds like you want to hack video games when you say bypass anti-cheats and talk about reading memory and reverse engineering :p Probably won't be too many careers for that.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I was thinking more about what area you want are interested it for a career but with that I would look at moving C up your list...quite a lot.
giblit, the point was that I like challenges. And I took those stuff because it's the only stuff I know is challenging.

Grey Wolf, it would be system , game and/or embedded/real-time programming. The problem is I do not really know at the moment, as I've not tested it all.
I'm guessing security and encryption is your best bet.
What languages should I learn?

That entirely depends on what you would like to do as a programmer. Think of a language as a tool, a weapon or a shield. Depending on your situation you will use a tool that is designed for that job.

For this I'd recommend a couple of languages.

C -

When we're all living through a nuclear winter salvaging old tech, C compilers are able to compile for many processor architectures. It is a fast, robust language built for telling the computer what to do. Unix and Linux were built using C. It can be hard to grasp sometimes, but being a C guru there is always someone who will need you.

C++/Java -

When you want to build modular or general code these are ideal languages (IMO). Many games are written in C++ and much firmware is run through a JVM on things such as TV boxes and mobile phones(So the installation waiting window says). Although I would take C++ over Java, both of them can accomplish the same tasks.

Python -

An easy to write dynamic language, there are extensive libraries that add on to Python, things such as networking, graphics and even systems programming IIRC. You can develop code fast in Python, making it ideal as a test bed or sandbox for projects.

Some type of web language, HTML, JavaScript, PHP etc -

You want your programming to be dynamic, don't leave an area untouched. The Internet generates billions of money, learning to control the web can make sure you get a piece of it.

Assembly -

The back bone of programming, the syntax is a translation of real machine code instructions. I think all(?) compiled languages are translated into Assembly then linked to create the executable format. It is a very tedious language, can get error prone and can get very (very) hard to follow. When you master this, you become a God of computer world, disassembling and redesigning code, reverse engineer encryptions and DRM.

A wild card, SQL -

SQL is well known language in the business and e-commerce areas, primarily used for data management on servers. Learning SQL won't go amiss when handing in your CV for a database programmer or sysadmin job for a company who's network is built upon .NET and MySQL.

Something to remember:

Although a language is a primary use to make software, many companies will have you using a fair few external libraries for a specific language. When learning a language try finding and playing around with external libraries, like SFML/SDL for graphics rendering, or something like Boost for C++.

I have no real world experience as a programmer, most of my knowledge comes from reading texts from the Internet. As we all know and love the Internet, take it with a grain of salt.
If we're salvaging old tech during nuclear winter, someone had better know COBOL.

;O)
someone had better know COBOL.

Going through a box of old papers/textbooks in the garage, I found my dad's COBOL textbook from when he was in school in the early 80s.
Thanks everyone! Next language will be C, and I'll try out security encryption. :)
I now work for a small company that makes oil sensors, display units, and PC software to configure them. Their's two main languages used for everything which is C++ for the firmware, and I work in Visual Basic to develop the user interface and connections to the devices.

It works really well as C++ is compiled to assembly and then machine code (in this case the machine code is comparable with the chips used on our products) which is important because it's very powerful and we can control memory very efficiently, as well as the fact that the device can't possibly use a run time language.
But then programming a UI and a serial interface with C++ is a lot more work than needed when it's practically done for you in any of the visual languages, C# is a bit too similar to C++ so I get confused easily so I went for VB, and although their are some things that MS refuses to let me do the easy way, it is still very helpful with the basic UI, and runs at a decent enough pace for what we need.

So personally I'd say go for one compiled and one visual for a start and good versatility
Duoas wrote:
If we're salvaging old tech during nuclear winter, someone had better know COBOL.

Cheraphy wrote:
Going through a box of old papers/textbooks in the garage, I found my dad's COBOL textbook from when he was in school in the early 80s.

I guess we have that base covered. Now, we just need to deal with the muties.

I feel like playing Fallout 3 now but I'm too tired from work. ;/
Everyone got plenty of bottle caps saved up?
Unfortunately not, though I have Jet, Psycho and a few cigarette cartons knocking about.
Pages: 12