• Forum
  • Lounge
  • What college course would you think will

What college course would you think will count as "intermediate algebra"?

I am planning on transferring to San Francisco State University once i get all my 60 transferable units with my gpa of 3.0. I should be able to get all the units at the end of the summer semester next year, but there's a specific requirement about SFSU that i don't fully understand. They're asking me to take a course in quantitative reasoning/mathematics with a prerequisite in "intermediate algebra". I've looked in assist.org for a course with that name but i cant really find one.

Here is what is listed in the SFSU website

1. One course in oral communication
2. One course in written composition
3. One course in critical thinking
4. ONE COURSE IN MATHEMATICS OR QUANTITATIVE REASONING, WITH INTERMEDIATE ALGEBRA AS A PREREQUESITE.

I don't understand the fourth requirement. Am i supposed to take a course that is considered "intermediate"?

p.s I am planning on making an appointment with a counselor about this, but i thought i should ask here first.
I imagine they are implying a "College Algebra" class.

Yet again, the education system attempts to classify all of mathematics into various branches of algebra, geometry, and calculus. Yet again, they fail to do so.
Probably is satisfied with statistics, or calculus, or anything higher.
How is the "intermediate" algebra requirement supposed to be satisfied with calculus? I do agree with ispil that a college algebra course might be considered intermediate. But calculus?..
"Intermediate Algebra" is Algebra II.

Depending on the quality of your education, that's what you should know by the time you get out of high school.

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Intermediate_Algebra

Hope this helps.
...I repeat myself- the education system's categorization of mathematics is so awful that it isn't even justified.
It says intermediate algebra as prerequisite. You don't need to take algebra, just one class beyond algebra.
Last edited on
Contact the school and ask.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
It says intermediate algebra as prerequisite. You don't need to take algebra, just one class beyond algebra.
So you will have to have done a course in INTERMEDIATE ALGEBRA before you do the course in MATHEMATICS OR QUANTITATIVE REASONING.

Unless it means, a course MATHEMATICS OR (QUANTITATIVE REASONING, WITH INTERMEDIATE ALGEBRA AS A PREREQUESITE).
So you will have to have done a course in INTERMEDIATE ALGEBRA before you do the course in MATHEMATICS OR QUANTITATIVE REASONING.

Unless you took it in high school recently, or you test out of it. I didn't algebra in community college.
Here is the description of the class I am planning on taking next semester. Can someone tell me if this ccourse is an intermediate algebra course?

MATH-135 College Algebra:

This course presents the elements of coordinate geometry, algebraic functions, exponential and logarithmic functions, inverse functions, and application including curve sketching.

p.s I never took an algebra class in my community college, and back in high school I never really paid much attention. So I wouldn't know what algebra courses are considered intermediate.
Last edited on
Yes.

Check with your school to be sure. (Schedule an appointment with academic advising to talk with a dean. He or she will help you correctly choose these things. You may even be able to get this information over the phone if going and talking with someone is sufficiently inconvenient.)
I've already scheduled an appointment with my counselor but I'm forced to wait 2 weeks for the appointment. So I'm just asking here to waste some time I guess.

Thank you.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.