Privacy

Hey,

Recently, when I suddenly find my self googling around while logged in the site, I freak out, Honestly. I'm not used to care about my privacy on the internet, But Its been a few days that I feel more comfortable googling anonymously ( to google ). I don't know why this is happening to me; I haven't heard any shocking reports on privacy violations to say that I got effected, nor am I googling stuff that I don't want others to know about.

I'd like to know your opinion.
Internet and Privacy do not coexist.
If it's on the Internet everyone can and will see it. It is public and not private.
Last edited on
It doesn't matter if you're logged in, there are ways of identifying users with reasonably high degrees of success even without cookies enabled. For example, they can track things like browser window dimensions, user agent, etc. and with a large amount of data, they can uniquely identify users. I think NoScript would largely mitigate this, but any site that you allow to run Javascript can be used to track you, kind of like how the agents in the Matrix can take over the body of anyone who's plugged in.
I've been using DuckDuckGo as my default search engine for more than six months now.

In addition to privacy, I also appreciate its philosophy of 'the best sources rather than the most sources'.
Last edited on
Well, the internet isn't private by its own nature- but with the right tools, you can block out what you need to. For example, there are a variety of software that lets you manage the requests made by websites for your information- which can let you block off quite a few of the various data requests made on a persistent basis.

Also, never doubt the ability to opt-out of tracking. I know for certain that Google has a decent opt-out plugin that does what it says it does- keeps Google from tracking any info concerning you. As for other software, I know that Disconnect does a good job of dealing with data requests. I would actually not recommend Ghostery, since... well, it's an advertisement company. The whole point of its privacy software is so that it gives an incentive for companies to use it instead of others for their tracking software- since it lets them bypass the browser add-on for privacy. It's like a gun distributer promoting the prevention of gun distribution by shutting out other distributors- it's just netting itself more business.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.