Sleep Paralysis

Has anyone experienced Sleep Paralysis? Post your experience here!
Once, that I can remember. I often have vivid and sometimes lucid dreams in the morning before I wake up properly. On this occasion, I woke up in the dream, but I was actually still half-asleep. I was lying face down on my bed. I heard my girlfriend call my name, so I tried to roll over. There was a horrific version of her staring at me from across the room which I could somehow see even though I was still facing down. As I woke up, I remember asking "How did you get in?" and then realising it had been a dream. As I remember it, I was actually watching myself from above at the same time as I was seeing things through my own eyes, but I often remember things from a third-person perspective for some reason.

I've also been woken by auditory hallucinations when I was falling asleep on a couple of occasions (most recently, I heard a female voice asking a question) and a couple of times I woke up fully in the morning from a half-sleep because I could feel someone poking me.
Last edited on
As I remember it, I was actually watching myself from above at the same time as I was seeing things through my own eyes, but I often remember things from a third-person perspective for some reason.

This happens to me a lot in dreams...also my dexterity goes to hell, or maybe there is a ton of input lag lol.

I don't think I've ever had sleep paralysis, although I know a friend who says it seems to be related to sleeping in a certain way for him.
I used to have sleep paralysis really often. At one point in my life it happened multiple times a week. It doesn't seam to happen to me now days though, at least not like it used to.

I would realize I was asleep and I would struggle with all my power to open my eyes or move a muscle. Sometimes I would think I finally broke out of it and that I was now in the real world, accurate surroundings and everything, only to find at some point that I was still asleep, waking up was just a dream, and I was still physically paralyzed. Sometimes this happened sort of recursively with multiple levels.

It was pretty terrifying. Often there was also an intense feeling that someone with bad intent was in the room or hovering over me.
Strange coincidence but I actually just had sleep paralysis this morning. I was asleep but fully conscious and I decided I wanted to wake up. Usually when that happens what I do is try to move my head from side to side, which wakes me up. This time, though, it didn't work. I thought I could hear a bee flying around behind me so I thought "I have to wake up before it stings me" but I couldn't wake up. I imagined I could see my bedroom a little, as though I had managed to open my eyes slightly, but then things got weird. I tried to bend at the hips to wake myself up by convulsing, and then I started spinning. I decided that a demon or a ghost was possessing my body and making me spin around. After spinning for a while, and trying to scream but only managing whispers, the demon threw me out of the window at the head of my bed and I woke up. It was pretty scary but also exciting - better than any horror film or game, although the survival horror genre should get a big boost from VR.

I think it's actually not that coincidental for it to have occurred tonight. Not only did I go to sleep drunk at 7 am (happy new year!) but people say that if you want to start having lucid dreams, you should start thinking about them, and this thread did make me think about sleep paralysis. So, firedraco, if you want to experience it, the recipe seems to be thought, intoxication and sleep deprivation (being intoxicated probably just helps by disrupting sleep architecture).

@firedraco
I think it's pretty impressive, since it's obviously impossible to view yourself from a third-person perspective without somehow extending your perception (e.g. with a camera), but our brains can create the missing details and show us the perspectives anyway. Dreaming in general is pretty amazing.

I've never noticed that dexterity thing, though. Usually when I'm conscious in dreams I'm not conscious enough to think properly, so I can't notice details.

@htirwin
That multiple level thing sounds cool.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.