Any Young Teen Jobs Out There?

Hello,
I am a fourteen-year-old programmer looking for a good game programming job. I live in the California Bay Area and I have been searching for a game programming job for over a year and a half. I have knowledge in a variety of languages, including C/C++, Python (and modules), Java, and JavaScript (and JQuery). I am currently working for free on a project called Ironbane (website currently down; ironbane.com). I would like to begin to take my programming to a level where I get paid hourly, even if it's minimum wage. I'll work as many hours as I can, including on weekends. I am busy Tuesday through Thursday, so I would make those my days off. Please consider me as a possibility for a job position. I would like to add this job as one of the main items on my future resume.

I prefer an adventure fantasy game (meaning bows, swords, staffs, etc.)

I am an idea machine, meaning I can pump out a storyline, a customization idea, a gameplay idea, AI ideas, etc.
Last edited on
You could only work 3 hours a day and 18 hours a week, with no school and in the summer 8 hours a day and 40 hours a week. And you cant stay at work later than 7 pm during the school year and 9 pm June 1st to Labor day. Those are some limitations that will make it harder to get a job that you should think about. And when you say Tuesday through Thursday, is that this week or all the time?
@fabtasticwill

I'm thinking about working from home on GitHub or something. Instead of hourly, I could be paid by progress, if possible. I'm busy like that every week.
Do you even have any experience with programming games (what do you even do on ironbane)?

Do you have any sort of portfolio? You say you have knowledge in each of the languages, yet you fail to provide any sort of project so employers can judge your work.
Last edited on
@Avilius

I do not have a portfolio, but I plan to collect all of my small games and put them on a website that I have.

In Ironbane, I help with the character animation and interaction with the world. I am currently working on creating AI to interact with the world and character. The current code that shows my contributions is private :(
@ OP: I guess it's my turn to be the mean old guy this time. No one is going to pay someone who is barely a teenager to work on any sort of software project professionally. Even if you're good, and I mean prodigiously good, and very lucky, the best thing you'll find is a profit share on an indy title. But before you go looking for that, the first thing that you're going to need to establish is a portfolio. This isn't like getting a job at a hardware store, no one is going to care about your volunteer service or extracurricular activities. They want to see what you can do with what you know. Don't feel bad if you didn't know this, there are college graduates that haven't figured it out yet.

A big reason that I can say with absolute certainty that you will never find work on a professional game title are the restrictions that fabtasticwill already mentioned. Video game companies, especially the AAA's, have something of a reputation for "Skirting" labor laws to meet deadlines as it is. So bringing a minor on board with stuff like that going on would be out of the question.

Take the time you have now to build up your experience and your portfolio. Familiarize yourself with some libraries and things that a lot of programmers don't think are important until it bites them in the rear, like the OSI model.
When and how do people learn this stuff? All I can do with my "knowledge" is to solve some exercises that are provided by some sort of tutorial or book and the likes.

I have no idea how to write my own application, game, whatsoever.

Any advice you can spare for me? Like, where to start, or some sort of little application ideas.
@ beko: Don't hijack threads. You learn by reading AND by doing. If you feel like you've hit a wall with what you know then it's time to pick up a library. I'd suggest SFML if you want to make a game because it has a simple interface and it is pretty easy to learn.
Lax26 wrote:
I do not have a portfolio, but I plan to collect all of my small games and put them on a website that I have.
Then do it. And they better be pretty damn good games too (but it's better to have 10 complete and small games than 1 large and incomplete one).

In Ironbane, I help with the character animation and interaction with the world. I am currently working on creating AI to interact with the world and character. The current code that shows my contributions is private :(
Then it might as well not even be there. Mentioning it with nothing to back it up is useless.

And what you said isn't really helpful. Character animation has pretty much nothing to do with programming, and "interaction with the world" is a vague statement.
Last edited on
Character animation has pretty much nothing to do with programming,

I would highly disagree with this statement. In any game that is not a toy project with simple sprites running around you are going to run into a lot of tough problems with animation related code and it can be very hard to get it right. Hell a lot of shops employ programmers specifically geared towards animation programming.

So animation work is definitely something nice to have on your resume and it does indeed have a lot to do with game programming. Also it doesn't really matter if you can't show the code as long as you have references from the dev team to back up your claims.

A lot of games have closed sourced code so it is no big deal in my opinion that you can't show it, in fact having a large scale completed game under your belt is x10 better then having a simple portfolio in the game development field (A lot of shops have a requirement of X number of completed titles under your belt). So keep on working on Ironbane and get it completed it will help you out greatly in the future.

Just my 2 cents that have nothing to do with the OP's question really ;p (Everyone especially Computergeek01 covered what I would say already.)
Last edited on
Maybe, for now, you could try publishing a few mobile games and see if you can make any money that way.
I would highly disagree with this statement. In any game that is not a toy project with simple sprites running around you are going to run into a lot of tough problems with animation related code and it can be very hard to get it right. Hell a lot of shops employ programmers specifically geared towards animation programming.
Fair enough.

Also it doesn't really matter if you can't show the code as long as you have references from the dev team to back up your claims.
This is what I was trying to say with the closed-source thing. I assumed he he hadn't actually done anything with the dev team and instead just made offline changes without being involved.
Last edited on
I think if you are going to get credit for something i would get at least half the dev. team to back him up and show that he didn't just do offline changes and to show that he actually got involved
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.