• Forum
  • Lounge
  • If you were starting over, what would yo

If you were starting over, what would you do?

Hello everyone! I decided I need to get a well paid, fun, creative job I can do anywhere in the world and not break my back, so I decided on becoming a programmer. I have an interest in transport, AI and security. I am applying for an MSc in Computer Science. The course is based on C++, however , I know there is more to programming than this. I have heard of all sorts of languages.

My question to you all is this...

From your experience, what would you recommend a newbie to do, and to avoid, on the journey in professional programming.

Thanks
Last edited on
The first thing I would recommend is to move this thread to the lounge where it belongs :p.
O_o
Don't waste time learning a language for the sake of learning a language. Learn a language enough to make something, then make something.
no offense but, I would recommend you to stick with transport you mentioned.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
From your experience, what would you recommend a newbie to do, and to avoid, on the journey in professional programming.

When you say '...so I decided on becoming a programmer...' I would ask you to describe what you believe the job of programmer entails.
If I were starting over, I would learn statistics and probability earlier on, and in more depth. I would say that is especially good advice for you based on the fields you want to go into.
Hey htirwin, any books on statistics or probability that you would recommend from experience? Or did you learn mostly from just the internet?
Last edited on
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
If I could start over, I would get a college degree that actually matters while gaining a professional network. You can be the greatest self taught programmer in history and green college grads still have the drop on you.

Get a degree while you still can.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.