• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Do professionals know every std function

Do professionals know every std function?

This goes for Windows programming as well. Should I memorize everything from std::ate to std::vwscanf? There's so many of them.. Do people really know how each one works?
No, we just remember what is roughtly possible with different parts of standard library and consult reference when we need something we rarely use.

For example I know that you can change digit grouping and separating character, decimal separator, names for true and false (how they will be output and what is expected for input), character classification (what character is digit, punctuation and so on) and oter stuff, and that it is found under <locale> in facets. I might not remember what exactly do I need, but I can easily find it by consulting a reference (or in worst case — I do not have access to reference, looking through headers themselves).
It's from std::abort to std::wstringstream :)

otherwise, +1 to MiiNiPaa. Even though C++ standard library is considered small, it is more than anyone is expected to memorize. On the other hand, I do expect programmers to know key functions like std::copy or std::remove, and to really know how they work.
I make a point to not memorize anything. All I need to know is what is possible and not possible (or how hard/easy something is) and then I research online from there. Generally things I use frequently are "accidentally" memorized.
MiiNiPaa wrote:
(or in worst case — I do not have access to reference, looking through headers themselves).

@OP: Although somewhat rare this is occasionally necessary. Since you're a Windows guy I'll leave this here for you: http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/grep.htm
thanks, guys. awesome answers.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.