Java help

Does anyone know of a good Java forum or tutorial like this site? Others that Ive found have been a dud.
Last edited on
I haven't found another programming community like this at all. StackOverflow is probably your best bet.
I'd try http://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/ StackOverflow is garbage, lots of the conversation is limited due to some stupid rules. Similar questions are deemed duplicate and closed almost instantly. The rep system there gives people too much power, you can't even post answers on other people's questions without a certain number of rep. You are better off using google and if a question happens to be on StackOverflow then read it. Otherwise i'd stay as far away from it as possible.
Last edited on
You are better off using google and if a question happens to be on StackOverflow then read it. Otherwise i'd stay as far away from it as possible.

That's pretty much my experience with SO as well.

It's a great archive of answers to questions that have already been asked, but apart from that I have little interest in it.
:)
Last edited on
ezchgg wrote:
http://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/

++. they also have a pretty good irc channel of the same name.

StackOverflow is garbage,

i wouldnt go that far. its filled with many smart people. every forum has their up and downsides.

Similar questions are deemed duplicate and closed almost instantly

well yes... we dont two of the same question, or a post like: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/general/154949/

The rep system there gives people too much power, you can't even post answers on other people's questions without a certain number of rep

well yes... once again to prevent posts such as what seirin1234 did.

You are better off using google and if a question happens to be on StackOverflow then read it.

that is also a good system. usually what i do.

Otherwise i'd stay as far away from it as possible.
disch wrote:
That's pretty much my experience with SO as well.

It's a great archive of answers to questions that have already been asked, but apart from that I have little interest in it.

eh ive had both benefits and downfalls because of stack overflow. namely the grace period to edit a question without the change registering has fucked me over quite a bit.
i wouldnt go that far. its filled with many smart people. every forum has their up and downsides.

There may be smart people but the device which is in use, StackOverflow, no matter who is in it it is still garbage system.

well yes... we dont two of the same question, or a post like: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/general/154949/

A post doesn't have to be duplicate to look like that. Things change, having a topic closed and pointed to another 4 year old topic only impedes the conversation. It is not necessary to close the topic for further discussion.

well yes... once again to prevent posts such as what seirin1234 did.

It does not stop people from posting like that. Again it impedes people with knowledge, they have to play the system and make up questions that they might already know the answer to, just to get points so that they can help others. Requiring X amount of points just to be able to freely help someone else should not be a thing, for anything, ever.

eh ive had both benefits and downfalls because of stack overflow. namely the grace period to edit a question without the change registering has fucked me over quite a bit.

You are also forced to single line code in anything other than top level answers or questions, this limits discussion even further.
ezchgg wrote:
only impedes the conversation
ezchgg wrote:
this limits discussion even further.

If you're looking for a conversation, Stackoverflow is most definitely the wrong place to go. It is a programming Q&A archive, the best there is, but not a forum.
StackOverflow, no matter who is in it it is still garbage system.

not really... every forum has its ups and downs. even this forum. its had a lot of them.

A post doesn't have to be duplicate to look like that. Things change, having a topic closed and pointed to another 4 year old topic only impedes the conversation. It is not necessary to close the topic for further discussion.

lolwut? i never said it had to look like that. things do change. and if they do, then they are ratified. like cubbi said, the conversation should be impeded because so is not the place for conversation.

It does not stop people from posting like that.

yes it does

[/quote]Again it impedes people with knowledge, they have to play the system and make up questions that they might already know the answer to, just to get points so that they can help others.[/quote]
i really doubt that. i have never had to do that and i can help people just fine.i think you are coming to baseless facts.
Requiring X amount of points just to be able to freely help someone else should not be a thing, for anything, ever.

it most certainly should. otherwise anyone can just give out useless shitty advice ;)

You are also forced to single line code in anything other than top level answers or questions, this limits discussion even further.

single line code everything? no need to make up your own terms. please use real terms so we can follow what you mean. and for the love of god, you shouldnt be discussing much there.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.