• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Questions about average programmer abili

Questions about average programmer abilities

I've just started on LazyFoo's tutorials from an absolute beginner's position. It's a hobby for stress relief on my actual job, but I'm curious anyhow:

Are programmers expected to type almost/everything from memory? Much like memorizing certain lines of essays or words that can be used?

If so, how do you manage not getting mixed up with different languages since it is all English? Is that something that comes naturally or even never?

Or do you use templates or refer frequently/copypaste from other resources e.g. previous self/team-written files? (I know that it's wrong to steal others' code.)
Last edited on
Are programmers expected to type almost/everything from memory?

No. A pragmatic programmer will often double check that their memory is precise even if they think they remember. There are so many libraries, so many languages, so many subtleties, and things change so fast, that it would be ridiculous to try and memorize them all, and crazy to rely on your memory alone.

If so, how do you manage not getting mixed up with different languages since it is all English? Is that something that comes naturally or even never?

If you have a little doubt, just look it up, it only takes a second.

Or do you use templates or refer frequently/copypaste from other resources e.g. previous self/team-written files? (I know that it's wrong to steal others' code.)

A good skill is to recognize when you can accomplish what you need ( well ) using an existing implementation ( i.e. a library ), or using something you've already written.

Last edited on
Ah, thanks for that!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.