Game Programming Books - What To Read Next?

Hello

I got into the programming world a month ago. I read a fabulous book called Beginning C++ Through Game Programming by Michael Dawson. In 2 weeks i did most chapters and after a month i could do my own programs based in any chapter. So after reading this great and easy to learn from book... What book i should read next? I am looking to get into advanced game programming and i hate reading from my computer it gets my eyes so tired so a book is the way to learn for me. Thanks in advance.
If you are still learning programming:
http://stackoverflow.com/a/388282/1959975

You will also want a lot of math skills before you even begin to touch on game design.
Currently i am doing my phd in natural science mathematics so that is not a problem. I am looking to continue what i learned on that book and start learning the next step. I guess that book is for beginners so another good book that continues where that one left off, maybe more video games oriented.
Game programming isn't much different from normal programming. A book that claims to teach game programming is usually just a normal programming book that is themed around games (at least in my experience). Normally, this means the book has to juggle both teaching you to program while at the same time teaching you to design a game. Usually it doesn't strike a balance - most books either teach programming and spoon feed the game design, or teach the game design and spoon feed the programming (or just expect you to know it).

I would recommend getting a book that only focuses on programming in C++ (such as one from the list I linked to above) as well as also getting a book that only focuses on game design and assume you already know programming. Then, read them together. In my experience this strategy works best as you don't have to worry about the book poorly juggling two complex topics.
So which would be the continuation to the book i read?
Last edited on
Anyone else want to recommend me any c++ book that continues that book. Also i was looking to know how to program with visual enviroment or 3d games.
Last edited on
Take things one step at a time - you're not going to learn this stuff in less than a year.

Start with making a 2D game while reading one of the books I linked to. Check out graphics libraries like SFML, Magnum, and SDL.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.