Gmail Drive.

LINK REMOVED.

I apologise if I have offended this forum, all I wanted was an impeccable source of free learning for everybody.
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
If anyone else has a treasure like this and willing to share, please post.
Don't Post
Could you explain, Grey Wolf? I'll remove the post if required.
If you don't have permission from the IP holders to post their works online then it is at the very least rude to open the site owner up to possible legal action against him.
IP Holder?
Intellectual Property...Copyright, publishing rights, etc.
Well, I will leave that to those who want the information. If I am breaking forum rules, I am sure the admin will take it down. Till then, why not take a look, if you haven't already. You might just find something useful.
Well, I will leave that to those who want the information. If I am breaking forum rules, I am sure the admin will take it down. Till then, why not take a look, if you haven't already. You might just find something useful.

You obviously didn't get what Grey Wolf said. Unless you have written permission from all the publishers to redistribute the material that is in your Google Drive you are clearly breaking Copyright, IP and Distribution laws. Which if you live in the United States of America is a federal offense (Felony) which carries quite a hefty penalty (Possible prison/jail time and large fines upwards to $250,000). Then there is also the civil suits which can be filed against you.

Now if you want to open yourself up to this that is your call to do so, but by posting this material on this forum you are implicitly implicating this forum's owner in this crime of illegally redistributing copyrighted material. So not only can you be charged with this crime the owner of this forum can also be charged (And possibly sued in civil court) for allowing it be hosted on his website.

So I would highly suggest you take down your link from this post and I discourage anyone else from posting anything like this also.
Last edited on
Post updated, it's a shame, really. I did not mean to offend.

If the US wants to sue me, they can be my guest, I don't have anything of worth, hence why I have these books in the first place.

If they want to imprison me for giving everybody access to great learning material, again they can knock themselves out. It won't be the first time I've been in a cell, but it would be a first that I did time for something I believe in.

I apologise to you both, and the community. I hope you can accept it.
What was the link to?
Pirated books
> by posting this material on this forum you are implicitly implicating this forum's owner in this crime
> the owner of this forum can also be charged for allowing it be hosted on his website.
that's quite ridiculous
Its very unlikely it will happen in this case, but what zereo said is true.
Its very unlikely it will happen in this case, but what zereo said is true.

are you sure? i really doubt that. did you actually do research? because this was my top result: http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/linking-copyrighted-materials specifically "Linking to Infringing Works".
an excerpt that stands out:
As long as you do not know that a work infringes someone's copyright, then you cannot be held liable for contributory infringement for directing users to that work.[quote] note that this can be loosely interpreted to apply to the forum owner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement#Online_intermediary_liability
[quote=wikipedia]The U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act (1998) and the European E-Commerce Directive (2000) provide online intermediaries with limited statutory immunity from liability for copyright infringement. Online intermediaries hosting content that infringes copyright are not liable, so long as they do not know about it and take actions once the infringing content is brought to their attention.

now we have a clearer definition. so the forum (in this specific instance) wont be held liable so long as twicker doesnt know and will take appropriate actions once made aware (as the forum admins should). twicker is generally very mindful of content that is over the edge inappropriate on this site.

and finally:
http://www.cplusplus.com/privacy.do
This site contains links to other sites. We cannot be responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such web sites.

hence, i repeat, where did you get your research from, because i dont see any situation where this forum would be held responsible

edit:
addendum:
anonymous wrote:
But you are right most likely he wouldn't be convicted for hosting it, though that doesn't mean that he can't be sued or charged for hosting it. Even if he does win the cases that is still hundred of thousands if not more dollars down the drain

this, on the other hand is true
Last edited on
It really doesn't mater how much law is 'thrown' at this. If the owner only gets a Cease & Desist Letter it is too much. As a community we should be encouraging others to stay within the law (even if you think that law is an ass). In the UK, I'm sure they have similar laws elsewhere, there is a law do do with incitement. Encouraging others to commit an offence is an offence in itself. Discussions about how likely you are to be prosecuted or how liable you for an illegal act become meaningless if you just don't do it (openly).
Come on guys let's not debate about this. My intent was to give everybody equal opportunity, not to figure out what is wrong or "lawful" in this case.

Do you not see this pointless bickering amongst ourselves is why giving everybody access to free education is a topic of debate, while paedophiles gain rank, titles and responsibilities within government and religion.

I'm not a philosopher, but surely learning is something no one should pay for.
@LittleBobbyTables I'm confused on why you did all that. All Zereo said were possiblities(can be), not certainties (will be). I agreed with the scenarios that could arise if a website had links that were involved in copyright infringement. Displaying excerpts showing the conditions in which a host is not liable contributes nothing to your point giving I was only agreeing about what can happen, not what will happen.

i dont see any situation where this forum would be held responsible

I do,thanks to your sources.

. twicker is generally very mindful of content that is over the edge inappropriate on this site.

I didn't know that. Soooo can I repeat this?
It's very unlikely to happen in this case

This site contains links to other sites. We cannot be responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such web sites.

Does this pertain to advertising? I doubt this excerpt absolves liability for copyright infringement.

Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.