• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Can moderators modify peoples posts to h

Can moderators modify peoples posts to have code tags?

Because way too many people are not using them, mainly because half of the posts are from people who just joined the forum, and the immediately leaving after their problem is solved.

Reading code that's not in code tags is really damn irritating, and usually makes me walk away completely from the posts.

Maybe when someone posts without code tags, a moderator will reply explaining what code tags are, and then followed by modifying their posts to include code tags.

If moderators don't have the capability to change posts, that is something that really needs to change.
Oh, it gets better. This forum doesn't have traditional moderators.

-Albatross
we should really convince twicker to implement a system... it shouldnt be *too* hard
Little Bobby Tables wrote:
we should really convince twicker to implement a system... it shouldnt be *too* hard

The problem is who do you trust?
I suppose the simplest way is the select few people that have been around for a while and have proven time and time again how helpful they are, as well as being non-biased, don't hold grudges, etc.
I'm actually quite amazed how well this site is run and maintained simply by twicker, and the community reporting problems.
Although there have been times when moderators would have been very useful, it's also potentially a danger to the running of the site.
That newb sticky on the beginners forum might as well not exist. Nobody bothers to read it or link it to people who break those rules.
This (Not using code tags) has always been a problem and always will be a problem as long as this forum exists. There will always be people that are just in a hurry to get an answer and don't really take the time to learn how to format their posts properly, or English isn't their first language and simply don't understand how to.

Though is it really such a problem that we need to ask others to devote a considerable amount of their time to moderate the forums, or ask Twicker to come up with a way to automate code tags? No I really don't think so.

If anyone is bothered by posts without code in code tags, just do what everyone else does and ignore that post and move on to helping with another one. It's really that simple in my mind. There is really no need to demand this site to get some moderators to do it for them. I understand there could be a language barrier in some cases but eventually they will realize that they need to actually put some time and effort into their questions to get any answers.

Anyways just my 2 cents.

Last edited on
¿what is stopping you to copy the code, pass it to an auto-formatter and paste it again using code tags?
Thats kinda what I do. Its quite simple actually. But I also ask them to edit their post and put it between code tags so they'll know next time.
ahcfan wrote:
That newb sticky on the beginners forum might as well not exist. Nobody bothers to read it
I DID! =D (and then forgot most of it but still)

And actually I think the code tags have been cleared up quite a bit since on the beginners forum when you create a post it puts a template in for you telling you to put code in between those tags (maybe its changed again and they're no longer there?).
Yeah occasionally we still get people posting in the wrong section but if you notify the OP I think they can be moved by the OP can't they?

Z e r e o wrote:
Though is it really such a problem that we need to ask others to devote a considerable amount of their time to moderate the forums, or ask Twicker to come up with a way to automate code tags? No I really don't think so.

I don't think it is... If it's only a tiny snippet I might still read it and attempt to help, along with notifying the OP to use code tags, if it's a larger post I just don't bother... They'll get the picture eventually to keep there posts tidy otherwise they won't get much help.

But I also think a mod system could be useful for other things (like when we get one spammer sign up and create 100 posts in all threads with spam, mods could quickly clean up without having to wait for twicker). But as I also mentioned this could just as easily endanger the site so it's not something that should be considered so lightly.

Currently there is nothing "wrong" with the way things are, the site quite possibly could become even better, but if we're already so stable lets not upset the balance too much.
I think I'll put together a chrome extension that modifies posts with code that lack code tags to auto-format on my end.

I'm bored and have the freetime to do it.
Cheraphy wrote:
I think I'll put together a chrome extension that modifies posts with code that lack code tags to auto-format on my end.

I'm bored and have the freetime to do it.

Actually maybe message SGH about that, lots of us (me included) already use his chrome extension for this site, maybe if you do the work he'll be kind enough to add it in? Or perhaps you can work together with him on it?
It's not the worst idea.
Well. I just picked up a more fun project, actually. A redditor made a small app that lets you map the center button on a 360 controller. The thread was posted a year or so ago, and at one point source was included. But not anymore. The app is far from well polished and full featured. I PM'd him asking if he still had the source and he was kind enough to upload it for me. So, I'm cleaning things up and implementing what I need it to do.
What about this: http://www.cplusplus.com/user/mdshohelrana/

No moderation?
I didn't say there's no moderation on this forum. I just said this forum doesn't have traditional moderators. Anyone (above a certain post count/time on the forum, I believe) can report posts to be dealt with by the site admin.

-Albatross
I suppose the bottom line is that if twicker feels the site is becoming a little too much to handle then perhaps we might see a mod system, otherwise we'll assume that twicker is probably happy to handle it
If you have a high enough post count, reporting posts also deletes them and can delete a whole thread if there are no replies. Presumably an/the admin then reviews the reports and can undelete threads/posts if necessary.
@chrisname: the op also has to have a low post count. i couldnt for example delete satsuma benji's last post in this thread (not that i would have a reason to) just by reporting it

edit: 1k post hype
Last edited on
closed account (D80DSL3A)
Doubling down on ahcfans' noted case. This particular spammer has found a way to avoid thread deletions (he places the spam link in code tags). I've reported some of his spam posts yet they aren't deleted. His spam messages endure and he gets full advertising time.
He's been spamming and getting reported since Feb. 13 with no (apparent) response from admin.

Hopefully not many more discover his method.
I don't think it's that he is avoiding thread deletions that way. I think it just because he has more than like 2 posts that is the issue.
My addon already has the codeize button. It's disabled by default; you can enable it in the addon's option page.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.