Gaming

Pages: 123
I also recommend playing on "Lunatic", the highest difficulty setting. Easy modes are for babies.
You are a cruel cruel person, Disch. Easy is easy (was there even an Easy for this game?), but you have to be a real lunatic to suggest playing a Touhou game's (even a fangame) Lunatic difficulty initially to a new player.

That said, the game quite fun and I also recommend it.
Easy is easy (was there even an Easy for this game?)

Well... there's "Normal", "Hard", and "Lunatic" -- which is some Starbucks bullshit of calling a "small" a "tall". The easiest difficulty should be "easy", not "normal". I hate that crap. =P

but you have to be a real lunatic to suggest playing a Touhou game's (even a fangame) Lunatic difficulty initially to a new player.

My first time playing I started on Hard. Got through the forest then decided it was too easy so I quit and restarted on Lunatic. Maybe I'm just great at this game? ;P

Then again... I still haven't actually beat it. I keep getting to Underworld (Chaos mode) and then just find myself wanting to start over. I do that in a lot of games -- get far and start over. It's a weird thing I do -- I don't know why.

Anyway the game is essentially the same on all the difficulties save for a few changes. On higher difficulties:
1) Enemies are more aggressive (they do attacks more frequently)
2) Enemies hurt more
3) Your block gauge depletes faster (so you can't rely on blocking as much, you have to dodge more)

At least that's all I noticed.

Also, any idea what the "Agility" stat does? I haven't figured it out. My guess is that it effects interruption (higher agility = you get interrupted less often).

Or maybe it's how often you score critical hits?
Well... there's "Normal", "Hard", and "Lunatic" -- which is some Starbucks bullshit of calling a "small" a "tall". The easiest difficulty should be "easy", not "normal". I hate that crap. =P

I disagree, whether the first option should be called Easy or Normal totally depends on the developer's intentions to establish a baseline. Like, telling where "time 0" is in a signal.

If it's [Easy, Normal, Hard], this means the developers are suggesting that you pick the second option, and only the first option if you don't want the intended challenge.

If it's [Normal, Hard, Very Hard], this means the developers expect you to pick the first option, and only the second option or beyond if you want the extra challenge.
Last edited on
I disagree, whether the first option should be called Easy or Normal totally depends on the developer's intentions to establish a baseline. Like, telling where "time 0" is in a signal.

"time 0" in a signal is an objective measurement.

Level of difficulty is completely subjective and varies from person to person. What one person considers easy another might consider normal, or even difficult.

Ultimately, titles for difficulty levels are just a relative scale. And the widely established, accepted, and recognized names for that scale are "Easy", "Normal", and "Hard/Difficult". Just as "Small", "Medium", and "Large" is the widely accepted scale for food/drink sizes.

So either the developer of this game was really bad at playing it and thought Easy mode was Normal (unlikely), or they were using wordplay to try to be cute and play up the difficulty because one thing that Touhou games are notorious for is their difficulty (much more likely).

Regardless.... this poor choice of naming is the biggest beef I have with the game. As far as I can tell the rest of the game is damn near perfection. It knows exactly what it wants to be, and delivers it extremely well.

EDIT:

To further elaborate my point -- the names themselves are completely worthless to gauge by. I almost always start at the highest difficulty setting in games because I'm a pretty competent gamer. I only downgrade to an easier setting if the game actually is difficult (as in, too difficult to really be fun for me).

Case in point, this game is one of the times where I didn't start on "Lunatic" because of the way it was named -- and I very quickly regretted it because "Hard" was too damn easy. The labels are misleading and worthless. Stick to the freaking standard.
Last edited on
one thing that Touhou games are notorious for is their difficulty (much more likely).
... and each official game still contained easy mode (which is for elementary school kids as everyone knows).

And the widely established, accepted, and recognized names for that scale are "Easy", "Normal", and "Hard/Difficult". Just as "Small", "Medium", and "Large" is the widely accepted scale for food/drink sizes.
And large, gigantic, and humongous for condom size according for popular legend: http://www.snopes.com/politics/science/nasadiaper.asp

Normal/Hard/Very Hard model of difficulty naming is very popular now. Most casual games use it. It seems to be made to please ego of casual gamers which cannot stand that they play on easy (see astronauts legend ↑).

Also such model cannot be applied to games like Civilisation (which have 8 difficulty modes AFAIR) or UT (2004 had 12? levels of bot competence). One game even had 32 difficulty levels (Easy, Normal, Hard and Extra 1-30)
Someone here likes Touhou!
I'll eat your soul to get better. DO NOT SLEEP.
:)
Actually Wandering Souls is the only Touhou game I've ever played. But I do love it.
and each official game still contained easy mode (which is for elementary school kids as everyone knows).

I still can't 1CC any of them on Normal lol.
@Disch have you ever played the "Undefined Fantastic Object"?
It's Touhou 12.

<bad joke>
Fantastic* foo;
*foo = 10;

</bad joke>
I have not
Hmm... I wonder if anyone is able to tell me that the hell was going on in the game I played last week for my chanel? XD

http://youtu.be/wo1FlKjh-As

EDIT: Actually I might try our done recommendations from this thread if they seem like games I can commentate over while playing
Last edited on
closed account (18hRX9L8)
PS3 - COD MW3
https://www.callofduty.com/mw3
PS3 - Minecraft(I know it's not as good as on a PC, but it's still not bad)
Phone - Final Fantasy 4(emulated)
@twiggystardust
But what about the mods? And plugins? And fully customisable skin? And more mods?
I'm strictly a PC gamer, but I'm thinking about getting a Wii U and a 3DS for some of the Zelda titles. Because all games, in my opinion, have ups and downs, I can't really say I have a favorite.

Skyrim lets me explore a big land and do cool stuff, but it's awfully repetitive.

Morrowind leaves you to solve things your self and has some amazing quests, but the gameplay is too simple.

Ocarina of Time offers an emotional experience and some pretty fun dungeons (I actually liked the Water Temple), but the puzzles were sometimes non-intuitive and Hyrule Field was mostly filler.

Half-Life 2 is fun and challenging, but the "road-blocks" seemed mostly filler to me. It's already a pretty linear game, and having to stop every 15 minutes to walk into a little corridor (with maybe a Combine Soldier or two in it) just so I can press a button kind of takes away from my experience.

You get the point. I really want to find a game one day that's so good I can justify calling it my favorite. sighs... Maybe one day, a game in shining armor will come for me.
To anyone interested: I recommend Retro Studios' Metroid Prime and the rest of the Prime trilogy (Metroid Prime 1, 2: Echoes, 3: Corruption) to anyone that has access to a Gamecube, Wii, or Wii U.
[On the Wii U you'd have to use the "Metroid Prime Trilogy" Wii Version].
If you have a good computer you'd be able to emulate it just fine, I think.

Using the Wii controls in MPT coupled with improved textures and some added features makes it close to perfection for me.

Beautiful atmosphere, focuses more on adventure than first-person shooter mechanics (you lock on to the target, although that doesn't mean the games are easy). It has incredible boss fights and exploration, I think it kept true to the 2D Metroid games in a lot of ways. I'd say Echoes is the hardest.
Last edited on
UglyIgloo wrote:
I'm strictly a PC gamer, but I'm thinking about getting a Wii U and a 3DS for some of the Zelda titles. Because all games, in my opinion, have ups and downs, I can't really say I have a favorite.
Nintendo consoles are simply amazing. They're really innovative with their controls, and definitely worth picking up. Even though you're only getting them for Zelda, I'd recommend you pick up other games along the way... and this is coming from a person who mainly plays games on PC as well.
Ps3 people fancy a game next week? Call of duty's and Battlefield 4? Maybe a wee bit of Minecraft haha ;)
@SatsumaBenji:
I hear you there believe me, the in the PS3 version sticky pistons don't stick to other pistons(which ruins a lot of plans I had when I finally got the update. I haven't really looked into any mods(for the PC version) so I don't even know what I'm missing. And fully customizable skins, I honestly don't care about that. The biggest thing I miss is the super-flat world that you can tweak. in the PS3 version it's grass flat out, and only 3 off of bedrock, so if you plan on digging down at all(to hide components of a redstone contraption) you have to build up, and if you have a really big area, it takes a while!
Pages: 123