How do you pronounce "Lua"?

Pages: 12
closed account (2LzbRXSz)
That's pretty neat. I didn't know people actually pronounced it like that.
I don't actually say the w sound, I just meant that my pronunciation of food is closer to fewd than what you were suggesting.

I guess this thread is now officially the cultural-differences-in-word-pronunciation thread. Cool!

On the next weekend I can use my high-quality mic to record some pronunciations...
Only if you promise to do it seductively
You are going to forcibly prevent me from recording myself unless I speak seductively?
SQL = Ess Queue Ell
None of that Sequel crap.
Im sure you're voice is unable to produce non-seductive sounds, so I wont have to worry about that :D
@RB: people get laughed at for saying C-pound, it would only make sense that for an interview you know the proper way to pronounce various technologies. I was always under the impression that SQL is pronounced like sequel, despite my habit of always saying each letter separately.

By the way, fewd and few'd are different to me, so that may have caused some confusion. Few'd is like feud (e.g. family feud).
Hopefully this can help. In italian, Lua (Moon) is Luna. So... Lùa (Loo-aah) (Yes, extend the "aah". It must be heard.)
closed account (2LzbRXSz)
Aah that makes sense
@LB, I did some reading around. I guess SQL used to be called Structured English Query Language, SEQUEL. Later, it was renamed to Structured Query Language, SQL, and the pronunciation went both ways; Some saying S-Q-L and some saying sequel.

http://english.stackexchange.com/a/7234
Ah, thanks for that RB - I'd have looked myself but I was short on time.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12