Tutoring - Line Between Cheating

Hi all,

I've been tutoring for over a year now for students in C++, C#, etc... A common thing I get is this: "Can you show me how to do something for my assignment?" Granted, they plan on writing the code, but they're asking me to craft the solution (even if it's a small part only) for them. I feel this is cheating, so I turn them down, and instead, try to guide them by teaching them the proper concepts and tools with small lab work so that they can apply it to their own assignments.

Am I being too strict, or am I right on handling stuff this way?

Thanks, guys.
Last edited on
Well, in my experience I do not feel showing a solution is considered cheating as much as it is hurting their education since a lot of people do not bother trying to understand why/how the solution works after they have the answer for it; eventually, these students will reach a point where skipping out on understanding the simple things will cost them being able to find a job programming - assuming they make it to graduation which seems to be the case with a lot of students from what I've seen at my school.

So, it really comes down to what the student decides to do with the information. There are still some students out there that legitimately work better from seeing a solution first - then understanding how it works (I'm one of those types). When I have gotten solutions of the like, I generally spent time stepping through the code to understand why it works the way it works. Overall, it was generally helpful when someone could give a solution like that. Eventually, it reached a point where I couldn't find much help anymore due to the complexity of the code that I was doing; I remember having posted countless threads in the Beginner's and Windows Programming forums looking for help, but most of the time I either solved it before anyone replied, or no one ever replied and I just solved it after doing lots of researching.

Having said that, turning students down in presenting solutions is perfectly fine in the same sense as giving them a solution (or psuedocode) for it. It just depends on how bad the student is willing to go to find a solution to their problem whether they will continue to learn and become a better programmer.
The first thing I would do, and this part is important so pay attention, is to move this thread into the lounge. Twicker generously provides and 'Edit Topic' button at the top of this page to facilitate the correction of such a common mistake.

Secondly, after you've done that, you should keep in mind that you are being hired as a private instructor for a reason. They are having trouble with the way these concepts are being taught in class and they chose you to be the one to provide this service to them. So what ever you do, do NOT just regurgitate the same stuff you just heard the instructor say or use the same kinds of exercises. You should expect that each individual will require a different level of instructions, so "catch all rules" about what level of service to provide would be a mistake. That being said, assuming that the rate you have advertised in your profile isn't a typo, then your clients have some where around zero reason to complain about the LoS that you provide them.
Depends on how much you showed them. I mean some people see the coding and do code based on that but that doesn't mean its cheating off of answer. If its like 90 percent identical than yeah thats cheating but I am pretty sure people will have same coding if its simple coding. My professor in college shows his codig and compare to mine but its not the same coding. My definition of cheating would be copy everything down from the answer key. If thats not the case I woudln't say its cheating.

My Point is instead of showing them direct answer, show them possible answer so they realize coding have no specific answer.
I'd love that, but the person I'm dealing with seems to favor just using the code I provide as an example for his solution :/
Then don't teach the solution to a question that matters.
Perhaps you could walk them through the process of arriving at one of the requested solutions, leading the discussion yourself but allowing them to give input on the process and possible paths to take. That way, if they get stuck you can keep the process flowing, but at the same time they get to see where the solution came from and why. Then do the same thing for similar problems and slowly phase out your own control in the solution making process. The first problem you help them with could end up being simply you making the thing while they watch, which normally isn't helpful, but could be if you follow it up correctly. Just an idea.
You know what, I love that idea and I do use it on more than 90% of my students. Glad to know I'm not the only one doing this :)
Well, in my experience I do not feel showing a solution is considered cheating as much as it is hurting their education since a lot of people do not bother trying to understand why/how the solution works after they have the answer for it; eventually, these students will reach a point where skipping out on understanding the simple things will cost them being able to find a job programming - assuming they make it to graduation which seems to be the case with a lot of students from what I've seen at my school.

But what kind of tutor would a person be if this is what they are perpetuating? It's kind of shady, like giving drugs to kids.
Last edited on
I would disagree. Most students tend to want to get the answer. Even if they are asking for "help", what a lot of students really want is for the work to be done, not necessarily to understand what the work is supposed to teach them.

A good tutor will not do the student's work, and, instead, help the student understand how to do it themselves.
Last edited on
I always try to segue into the topic and teach them how to handle the topic. For example, if the assignment involves arrays and file processing, I'll give the students a few lessons on arrays, how to use them, etc... Same for file processing.

A lot of students like that style since they understand it right away, and can "map" it to the assignment. Then there are a few students who would disagree :/
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.