problem with unknown file extension

I have a file with unknown extension . I want to open it but I cannot . I opened it with hex editor and this is the result :

50 4b 03 04 0a 00 00 00 00 00 pk...........

normally pk is zip extension . I tried to open the file with winrar , winzip , 7-zip but I could not . It is impossible to open it .

I am stuck . I would appreciate any help and any suggestion.
It would certainly help if we knew what this extension is. Without it, that file could more or less be anything.

-Albatross
hello , the file does not have any extension associated with it . Its extension is unknown . I do not know how to open it . I know only that when the extension of a file is unknown then the header of the file can help in identifying its extension and how to view its content. The header of the file is PK . Pk has zip extension . However , I cannot open it with Winzip or Winrar
Where did the file come from? Would you be willing to upload it somewhere? Don't exclude the possibility of file corruption. You're not giving us a lot to work with here OP.
it does not matter
Last edited on
You wouldn't upload it here. You would use some file host provider or link us to this "challenge".
I see that you cannot help me . I will try to solve the problem alone

thanks anyway
Anyone else notice how shady dilver comes off as? XD He's also so shifty and enigmatic about his intents and doings, and asks about obscure, weird things.
If you don't know what a file is supposed to be, then of what value is it to you?
If I'm not mistaken, there are only basically two types of files; text and binary. If its not binary, any text editor will open it. I'm not sure how to go about it if its binary? If it is a zip, it is not a file so much as a folder, which is a completely different matter.
admkrk: no. you can open text as binary and binary as text
admkrk wrote:
I'm not sure how to go about it if its binary?

There are utilities that tell you what you need to know about binary files: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/756as972.aspx

This stuff is all pretty well documented anyway: https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/hardware/gg463119.aspx

dilver is just looking for shortcuts that don't exist. He doesn't know enough about the topic to ask the questions properly and I know from first hand experience how frustrating that can be; which is why I try to be too harsh on him. He'll get there if he sticks with it.
I imagine this situation as one of those little kids shows where the main character (dilver) does something silly (like Mr. Noodle from sesame street) and the crowd goes, "Oh main character"

it does not matter

This is my favorite quote from Mr. dilver :)
computergeek01 wrote:
which is why I try to be too harsh on him

you heard computergeek01.
I was going to suggest the linux file command like ne555 already did.
Regardless of whether it "matters" or not, i am a little curious to see if I can figure out what it is. @dilver You should post it

And yes, as i was reading this "shady" seemed to be an appropriate word...
Last edited on
Finally , I solved the problem and find the solution and opened all the files with unknown extension and saw their contents.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.