WIX Admin rights... I don't want them

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29164024/wix-installed-app-and-shortcut-shows-admin-symbol

I'll put a short explanation here but I've also posted on StackOverflow a little while ago without much success.
I've made my main application and its libraries and resource files, now I need to publish it so I've also made a WIX (Windows Installer XML) project that describes how it should all be setup (the source has changed quite a lot from that post but nothing major in functionality has changed).

Now the problem is that when setup to install "perMachine" admin rights are needed to setup (as they should be) but then admin rights are also needed to execute the installed application.
This issue is a little strange because even though the admin shield icon is displayed on the shortcut to the exe, and the exe itself (displayed whether in ProgramFiles or AppData) the exe doesn't need admin to run on Win7 (installed perMachine in ProgFiles, or installed perUser in AppData), but does on Win8 (again no matter if perMachine or perUser).

The bottom line is that I need either one of these (preferably working on both would be nice for the choice but as long as one of them works it's fine).
Admin installs to Program Files for perMachine, all regular users can run without admin rights.
Users installs to AppData for perUser (without needing admin rigts), that user can run without admin rights.

I know it's XML and not C/C++ but this is a helpful place, and cheers in advance for any help or advice.
Yet more information on the issue. I have tried installing on a different Win7 machine and the app still shows admin, but also doesn't prompt UAC on admin or regular accounts (just like on my build Win7 PC).

Also I tried building (both the app itself and msi) on the second Win7 PC to see if anything was different on a freshly installed VSC13 but the output msi still behaves in the same manor.

I'm also going to test the installer no WinXP to see how that works (if that works) and post more results.
Installers always require admin permissions. It is an inherent feature forced upon installers by Windows.
That's not the question
The bottom line is that I need either one of these (preferably working on both would be nice for the choice but as long as one of them works it's fine).
Admin installs to Program Files for perMachine, all regular users can run without admin rights.
Users installs to AppData for perUser (without needing admin rigts), that user can run without admin rights.

LB I do respect you as a user who has been around on this forum far longer than myself, and I imagine you've picked up a vast amount of knowledge in that time, but it may help to read the question before answering it :p
Last edited on
At least I made a response. I'm sorry, I really don't know much about Windows despite using it my whole life. I wish I could help, I even did some research of my own for you, but I didn't get anywhere.
It sounds like something might be forcing it into compatibility mode. Are you linking to an older file version or mandating a certain version of a dependency in your manifest file?
@LB I do appreciate that, thanks.

I THINK I may have found how to correct this (maybe?) although I don't know why it's doing it in the first place.

The application manifest is
A) only generated if you enable ClickOnce Security Settings
B) isn't actually placed into the executable, but just sat in the same directory (and I didn't think to include it in the installer as it wasn't generated due to not having ClickOnce Security).

However I still have no idea as to why the application would request admin rights by default and only run as a standard user app once it has its manifest. (btw I am yet to test building with a correct manifest included/embedded so I may come back later saying I'm wrong).
Manifest files can be either internal or external. Did you fix it? You'll want: requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker"
Under the "<security> \ <requestedPrivileges>" headers.
Okay, I've got this working on the Win8 PC I was using to test, and my home Win7 PC (but not my development Win7 PC).

Also if I use a hacking tool (ResEdit) to place the manifest inside the executable Windows complains that it isn't a valid 32 application... Don't suppose anyone knows how to pack the manifest into the executable? Failing that I suppose I have my answer and thanks for the help.

PS: Don't suppose anyone could do me a favour and send me an image or description of there registry section
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/.manifest/
please? The reason it don't work on my dev PC may be because I added a file association to .manifest so I could edit them easier. But it's only this one PC it don't work on properly now so if I can't fix it I suppose it's not a huge problem (just makes testing more awkward).

Again thanks for the help
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.