Why do people like puzzles with multiple solutions?

Pages: 12
This "Open World" Theme is more of the norm these days. While linear games have taken a bit of a step back. I think scripted games can be great if done right, it all depends on the developer. The problem with Open world games are that they are just empty. I prefer Games done right with creativity instead of the "oh here is a big world you can explore, but everything to explore is boring and repetetive". I kinda agree with LB on this matter, but I didnt understand the reference to portal 1 and 2. I finished them both and I didnt think there were multiple solutions to things?
TarikNeaj wrote:
I finished them both and I didnt think there were multiple solutions to things?

It sounds to me like you haven't tried looking for them. There certainly are multiple solutions, at least for most of the puzzles and I think that the Portal franchise is the perfect example to answer LB's question.

For games like Portal, I love the game play and I want to play it again. The problem is that; what I want is that feeling from solving the puzzle again. But I still remember my last solution so unless I look for a second route, I lose out on that feeling of victory. It comes down to rate of replayability I guess. I want to relive that sense of satisfaction I got from figuring out that puzzle but I don't want to wait the year or so that it would take me to forget how I solved it in the first place.

Now for stuff like Sudoku and Crypto-games, I agree that I get frustrated when I am told that there is more then one answer. But I think that's partially because it reminds me that I'm not smart enough for hash bending.
closed account (2LzbRXSz)
LB wrote:
When there are multiple paths, I feel overwhelmed, and no matter which path I pick I feel I am not getting the whole experience.

That's the exact feeling I was trying to explain about multiple endings in games that shouldn't have multiple endings.
When there are multiple paths, I feel overwhelmed, and no matter which path I pick I feel I am not getting the whole experience.

Sometimes that is the entire point of a game, to create your own story. Look at Dragon age. There are multiple paths, multiple everything. That is the point, and you will miss out on a lot of things.

In the end, as with everything else, it is about personal preference, and that's why its a good thing that there are good games out there for all of those preferences. So you just gotta find your jam and role with it.
Last edited on
@Computergeek01: you actually make a good point, about wanting that experience of solving a puzzle again. I think it is different for me: not knowing the solution makes me frustrated, and when I find the solution I stop being frustrated but I don't feel any high or significant feelings of accomplishment.

I know there is a solution, so there is no surprise when I actually find it. The real fun comes when you don't know there is a solution - think about the huge skips and glitches that speed runners find in games. That is exhilarating: to find something that nobody expected to be there, not even you, and you are likely the only person to have found it. That's more rewarding than any puzzle to me. But by their own nature, you can't add unintended solutions to a game - that means they are intended.

Puzzles are created to have solutions, and to me the fun is not in solving them, but in admiring them. I played Portal 2 over and over again, without any variance in how I solved the puzzles. I liked the experience of solving them, not the end result of finding the solution.

But as you pointed out, more people seem to like the high they get after solving the puzzle - something that I have only experienced when finding unintended things like glitches. I guess people don't think about the fact that there is actually a solution and they just have to find it, maybe some actually (subconsciously, of course) believe that there might not be a solution. I don't have that pessimistic attitude.

@TarikNeaj: CYOA games are neat, but they don't interest me; it's that whole feeling of being overwhelmed with choices:
https://xkcd.com/1445/
Kinda Irrelevant. But I dont want anyone to miss this 2 weeks Humble Bundle. I still think EA is shit, but holy moly I did not expect anything like this - https://www.humblebundle.com/

And to top it of, you dont even have an option to pay EA, you can only give it to charity or, humble tip. So they're basically giving away a million copies of each game, if not more.

I still hate EA though, but this was atleast a refreshing thing.

Edit: If someones wondering what the "More games comming soon" is. These are the games you'll also get next tuesday -

Sim City 2000, Wing Commander III, Wing Commander IV and Ultima VII.

Source : A leak by EA Korea - https://www.facebook.com/EA.Korea/photos/a.109794672482204.7595.109274229200915/678445215617144/?type=1&_rdr
Last edited on
Thanks for the reminder, but why do you hate EA? I'm not their biggest fan either, but I've really only played one or two EA games so I wouldn't know much.
If this became an EA-hate thread it could spiral. So Im just gonna give you this article to read - http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Why-People-Hate-EA-Ten-Simple-Reasons-43696.html

They werent voted Americas worst company twice in a row for no reason. If you wanna know more, and there's a lot more to know about, google on :)
I can't believe I had no idea about any of this! Especially the whole deleted after being inactive thing - I haven't used my Origin account in almost a year. Better log on so I don't lose my purchases... Wow. Thank you for the link by the way.

I like the process of solving the puzzle the first time. You know an answer exists, you just don't know what it is. You may not even have clear steps on how to solve the problem. It takes trial and error. For me, that's better than the feeling of what comes after it's solved. I do like finding brand new accidental solutions (like as LB said, glitches, skips, etc). The first time solving the puzzle is always the most interesting.
> I'm more a fan of interactive novels; something where I have no real impact on the story
¿how is that interactive?
@ne555: You can take your time to examine the environments and see details that are not normally visible in other forms of media like movies. It allows for you to get as in-depth an experience as you want. You can live in the moment and get to know the characters and setting better, or you can rush through the story to the end. Whatever you prefer, they are both options to you. Personally, I like to see the details.

@cactus: for me, the first time is frustrating, and every time after that is enjoyable.
Last edited on
@LB that's pretty interesting. I mean, it can be frustrating, but I also don't frustrate easily (or ever really. It takes A LOT to tick me off, and even then it lasts 15 minutes tops) so I'm able to enjoy the challenge.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12