Dead Pixels? Maybe?

closed account (2LzbRXSz)
My laptop is just barely a year and a half old. It's a Late-2013 Retina Display Macbook Pro, and just today I've noticed this bright spot on the left hand side of my screen. I've done some Googling (plan on doing more, but so far results have been sort of mixed. I also still have to call Apple and see what's up) but I thought I should ask you guys too since the community's pretty informative.

It's sort of shaped like a comet - it's a bright circle with a diagonal trail. Not "huge" but big enough to be extremely noticeable. It can be seen the clearest against a white background, but it's always visible. It's not a smudge, or dirt - it's definitely something wrong with the hardware. I treat all my stuff very delicately and nicely, so I don't think it's anything I did.

I don't know if these are dead pixels (I don't think they are - those are typically black, singular pixels), or something else. I'm pretty positive that it's not external damage.

EDIT: I did some more research, and apparently this problem was really common awhile back. I think it's called a mura spot...? Other than replacement, is there any other known way to fix this, or why it happens?
Last edited on
Pretty common fault with that notebook you have. It cannot be fixed, so get Apple to replace it.
I scheduled a Genius Bar appointment for Wednesday. The only thing I'm concerned about is getting a screen that's worse - that seems to be really common for people who get their screens refurbished.
screens refurbished.

It should be a new screen, not a refurbish.

Genius Bar appointment

Anyone else hate that?
Last edited on
That's what I assumed, but everyone says these new screens are practically worse than refurb screens. They have patchy yellow tints, or a full yellow tint all over the screen along with other issues.

Mats wrote:
Anyone else hate that?

The fact that it's called Genius Bar? Yes.
I think the screen was pressed too hard... Symptoms match :D
The only problem is I don't ever touch my screen, place anything on top of my computer, etc... I don't know why this would happen, but it's happened to a lot of other people apparently (couldn't find if it's considered a recall or not though).

In other related news, I wanted to contact Apple Support/Apple Care before my appointment to see how they handle the situation - couldn't get help over the phone so I switched to a live chat queue. I've been waiting for roughly 40 or 50 minutes, and still nothing (not even an estimated time!)
I noticed in similar cases, the bright ghost usually had a very hot chip behind. Might that be the case? Lowering brightness could extend the lifetime.
I'm pretty light-sensitive (I even have tinted glasses because that's how big of a problem it is), so I don't ever keep it at too high of a brightness, but for future reference I'll try keeping it lower and see if that helps - thank you!
Other than high brightness, would the heat be caused by anything else? Is it just a faulty chip on their part?
It hardly is a chip failure... Room heat? You live in a hot place, or keep a heater nearby?
In case it's a "no" to all those questions, it might not be a heat issue.
I live in Pennsylvania, so the weather here is mild. When it does get hot, I run the AC (started running them a few days ago actually). I keep it quite far from the heater as well (even when they're not in use).
The only thing I can think of is a faulty screen.
That's what most of the forum posts and articles I read sound like. I just hope it goes smoothly at the Genius Bar. The employees are always so resistant - which would be fine if they actually gave arguments that were truthful! They're so quick to shoot you down.
Last edited on
You may have unintentionally pressed the screen while putting the charger port... I have seen lots of people do that mistake... :D
The charger's on the side, and it's magnetic - so even if it were on accident, there wouldn't really be a need for the computer screen area to be pushed.

Plus ever since I came encounter with a laptop 11 years ago, I've always been told not even to lightly graze the screen leaving me forever paranoid about going near any screen haha.

I do appreciate you guys helping me investigate the problem though, so thank you all again.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.