• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Good Literature (Not Programming Related

Good Literature (Not Programming Related)

I've been reading lately and I've found the Andromeda Strain to be quite entertaining. I'm currently in the process of finding other books that are interesting.

Does anyone have any other good recommendations?
If you want ones... not from this century, try Don Quixote. Wonderful book, just picked it up for some light reading.
If you like short stories check out a compilation from J.G. Ballard. He's the same author who wrote Empire of the Sun, which the hollywood film is based on. His short stories have a lot of dystopian, sci-fi, and even cyber-punk themes.

I see that you like more of sci-fi... Try Jules Verne... His books are awesome
I'm not very picky of the genre, except for the fact that I'm not too fond of romance or anything.

I've noticed that I'm most interested in historical fiction along with sci-fi, however I'm more than willing to read outside that genre.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll be sure to check them out!
Avilius wrote:
not too fond of romance or anything

Somebody's got some 'love' issues :D
If you like the Epic Fantasy genre I would recommend checking out "The Black Company" series by Glen Cook, which I thought was an amazing series (If you have read Game of Thrones they took quite a bit of inspiration from The Black Company). One of the all time best in the Fantasy genre. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_Company
Last edited on
Just going to pitch in a suggestion for anyone who's looking for a decent book:
1984 by George Orwell is pretty good (now that I think of it... has he had any books that were bad? :P), but take what I say with a grain of salt as I only read to chapter 5 so far.

Thanks for the suggestion Zereo!
Catch-22 by Joseph Heller is my favorite piece of American literature. I'd also recommend Slaughterhouse V by Kurt Vonnegut. After college I went back to a lot of books I was assigned in high school and freshman literature and found myself better able to appreciate them.
Avilius wrote:
Just going to pitch in a suggestion for anyone who's looking for a decent book:
1984 by George Orwell is pretty good (now that I think of it... has he had any books that were bad? :P), but take what I say with a grain of salt as I only read to chapter 5 so far.

Thanks for the suggestion Zereo!

That is a good one indeed! A couple more along the same lines that you might enjoy if you haven't already read them are Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip K. Dick.
There's also We by Zamyatin.
not too fond of romance or anything

Try Pride and Prejudice, you'll change your mind ;)
Ah, Catch-22! A book I was planning to read but I forgot! Thanks!

We sounds like a similar book to 1984... I'll be sure to check it out :)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.