Help from C programmers

I was looking around other languages and was wondering what would be my second language of choice.

I want to learn c as it is the building block of all languages and is fairly close to the machine,

I was wondering how are tools and applications created in C because they are not really many libraries in c unlike c++(boost sfml allegro list goes on)

Last question of the day appreciate any replies
MIZ wrote:
I want to learn c as it is the building block of all languages

Uh, no. Some flavor of assembly would better fit the title of "building block of all languages", and even that isn't accurate due to the sheer number of languages that are interpreted by default and the fact that it ultimately too gets translated to a lower level language.

MIZ wrote:
they are not really many libraries in c unlike c++

On the contrary. Because C's standard library is so slim, there are actually a ton of C libraries, all doing the same things different ways. Also, WinAPI and most system-level *nix APIs are in C.

-Albatross
What I mean by c being the building blocks I'm talking about syntax ever languages syntax is a little similar to it

And if there are not many libraries but win api and unix Api how do you make applications ? Not console ones
how do you make applications ? Not console ones

The Windows API if your on Windows.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
MIZ wrote:
I was wondering how are tools and applications created in C because they are not really many libraries in c unlike c++(boost sfml allegro list goes on)
TheRabbitologist wrote:
On the contrary. Because C's standard library is so slim, there are actually a ton of C libraries, all doing the same things different ways.
MIZ wrote:
And if there are not many libraries but win api and unix Api how do you make applications ?
0_o Pay more attention...
MIZ wrote:
What I mean by c being the building blocks I'm talking about syntax ever languages syntax is a little similar to it

Not quite. A very large number of languages owe a lot of their syntax to C, but far from every language can say that.

Some examples to google:
Python
Haskell
Scheme
Prolog
Ruby
Smalltalk
Pascal
Caml
Delphi
Erlang
Lua
Fortran
Assembly
how do you make applications ? Not console ones

A library you're probably interested in is GTK+. http://www.gtk.org/

-Albatross
Do you guys mean i should use the C libary ?
When you say the C library, do you mean the standard library?
@cheraphy
I mean third part libaries
To add to that can i just use the standard libary(C) to create usefull aplications
I want to interact with hardware and other applications and create useful and innovative applications.
And once i get a little advancer i want to create a linux distro of my own
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.