Another C Question

I need a little bit of help from C programmers in this forum.

Im going to learn C as i soon which to create my own Linux distribution after i get more advanced.

The thing im really really confused about is
After learning a good portion of C on console applications how do you move on?
Instead of creating console applications how would create applications which actually could do you something useful ? like interacting with hardware through a USB port

I'm confused about how we would do this as the C standard library dosent provide much and they are not many 3rd part libraries.

Basically:
I want to create more useful programmes apart from console programmes
You need to learn APIs from systems, e.g. winAPI for windows, I don't know what api is used for linux. Also you can use libraries like gtk (I'm not sure if that one gives you ability to control usb buses).
closed account (z05DSL3A)
MIZ wrote:
I'm confused about how we would do this as the C standard library dosent provide much and they are not many 3rd part libraries.
You really think that a 43 year old language hasn't got many libraries? You asked about it and apparently ignore the answers you are given.
There are a LOT of libraries for any task you can think of. USB interaction? libusb, WDK, atusbhid, and the things in the standard library.
Im going to learn C as i soon which to create my own Linux distribution after i get more advanced.

This generally requires no programming skills at all. It really depends on your needs. For instance, with Arch Linux, the only programming done is with custom scripts and for the pacman package manager. For Linux Mint, they probably just mess with some configuration and defaults to make things look pretty out of the box.

The thing im really really confused about is
After learning a good portion of C on console applications how do you move on?
Instead of creating console applications how would create applications which actually could do you something useful ? like interacting with hardware through a USB port

You need to have a goal, and work towards that goal. Why'd you learn to program? What programs don't do that great and you think you can do better? And so on.

This is borderline trolling. Think about it. If other applications do it... do you really think your application can't?
Sorry I'm not trying to troll but I'm trying to say is
How do we get more functionally when the c library only teaches us strings functions etc...
Don't we need libraries to do more stuff
Yes. There are millions of libraries out there. I count 4 mentioned in this thread. What libraries you choose to use depends on what you want to do.
So what libraries for c (on windows) will help me out ? Because I can't find any when I research
closed account (z05DSL3A)
How do we get more functionally when the c library only teaches us strings functions etc...
First you learn that there is more to programming than just learning a language, just like knowing english doesn't give you the skill set to be an author.

So you need to learn to program, learn about data structures and algorithms, etc.

Edit:
I think that C is good language to learn programming with if you are the sort of person that like 'bottom-up' learning.
Last edited on
I enjoy bottom up learning I'm just concerned how people actually make the programme with diffrient functionalities

Because I can't find good libraries to assist me and I think I'm just gonna use c on Linux as c was made for Unix
Because I can't find good libraries to assist me

This is what, the fourth time you've said this? And every single time people point you towards libraries and explain to how C has a massive amount of libraries.
Okay, seriously, just start with SDL http://lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/index.php
It's cross platform, it's in C, you can make windows and graphics and other stuff. Just go through the tutorials and you will at least get an idea of how using third party libraries works... I hope.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.