• Forum
  • Lounge
  • how to determine whether you are already

how to determine whether you are already proficient in c++?

I just graduated in associate degree in Computer Science. I want to get a job ASAP, but I have this worries that I might be incompetent at work because every topics that we learned were all basics. So what I'm doing now, while passing CV/resumes and waitung for company's call, is I'm studying C++ further. But I don't how much concepts I should study in C++. I'm currently in the OOP of C++, then something struck me.

I want to become a programmer, and I've done some research and a programmer should learn multiple langauges depending on what field you're on. Like in web dev, a programmer should know HTML, CCS, JS, PHP. The thing is I don't know what field I could be on. WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT FIELDS IN IT PROGRAMMING?

So I need to learn multiple languages. I want to study C# next, but I don't know when, what I mean is I don't know if I'm already proficient in C++. How can I tell that I'm already in intermediate to advance level in c++?
Last edited on
If you are applying for jobs as a web programmer, it is unlikely that you even have to have heard of C++. If you are sending out resumes without even looking at what the company requires for the position, you are wasting both your time and the companies, and most likely killing any chance you might have later on, when you do have the qualifications.

All that said, if an employer expects you to be completely competent with no more than a school degree, you probably do not want to work for them. As you noticed, school only gives you the basics for a wide range of areas. Every company will have a different range of specific areas that you need to pick up on. How well you do will depend on how well you can adapt to those specifics.

The main reason a programmer should know multiple languages is so they can take on different types of jobs, at different companies. If you get a job for the US government, chances are you'll be using COBAL or Fortran, and have no use other languages, provided you have no desire to work someplace else.
Hello thanks for the response. I have a follow-up though. Can you name some programming languages and in what type of businesses/industries they are usually used for.
Heya- congratulations on your graduation!

mrVariable wrote:
I'm currently in the OOP of C++

This concerns me..

To gauge your proficiency is to be a recruiter. There may be a couple lurking around- but for us to get a better understanding, please tell us what you know, what you've done, and what you know how to do.

Being good at c++ is nothing more than an acquired knowledge about the language. Being good at programming however is different. Understanding the concepts behind the code, thinking logically and knowing the paradigms that allow you to reach for success and deliver a product. The language you use is trivial (though we're obviously partial to c++) it is the ability to program that will get you hired.

Can you make programs that perform? Can you deliver a good product in a timely fashion? Do you understand every part of the development process? Do you plan? Can you look at someone else's code and understand what's going on?

You can learn a new language in the genus you began in (in other words c++ -> java) surprisingly fast, so don't worry about specific languages.

When you're no longer worried about your proficiency, you may nearly be proficient enough.
I just graduated in associate degree in Computer Science. ... but I have this worries that I might be incompetent at work ...

Erm, I'm not sure how to gently break this to you OP so I'm just going to come right out and say it. You just graduated from college so are incompetent; the good news is that no one with half a brain will expect you to be any other way. I hope you believe my sincerity when I say I mean that in the nicest way possible. I'm not trying to be a jerk or a troll here, what I'm trying to do is put your very near future into perspective. You're going to hit the job market and you're going get rejected about a dozen times before finding an entry level job. When you get there you're going to constantly make mistakes and find out that a lot of the stuff that was drilled into your head at school is either out of date or flat out wrong to begin with. You're going to be frustrated most of the time and other times you're going to be down right pissed off wondering why you even bothered going to school. Just remember that everyone either went through it or they are going through it right now. Any one who tells you otherwise is either lying to you, lying to themselves, or they never learned from their mistakes. Congratulations on the degree OP, here is where the real "fun" starts.
Thank you ultifinitus...

Currently, I dont do programs, Im just reading from the book. In this book, after each chapter there is a complex(maybe) program sample regarding the topic. So what I do is I just read those source codes and analyze /trace/simulate how the program works... And i havent had any trouble understanding each source codes.

Im a guy who plans everything. In fact, Im planning on making a CLI reservation system for our business. But I cant start because Im not yet done in OOP. I dont know, and effing confused on up to what topic on c++ i should be familiar with... I mean what I want to learn are the rules of each topics/concepts.

Computergeek01.. Thank you...

Actually, Im already frustated... I feel like that the university just gave me a teaser. Im currently reading a book about c++ and I just realized/and learned from that book a lot of things that they(the college instructors) have not taught us...

But my concern is... When can I say that I'm company-ready in c++ coding...?
If you haven't ever coded anything, I'd say you definitely aren't ready.

I can read books on how to speak Japanese but using it is a whole different story.

As for when, that really depends. Programming isn't just knowing how to program in a language, it's also an understanding of general concepts that can be applied to every language like understanding program flow, functions, variables, recursion, etc. If you understand the things that can be applied to any language, you will be able to pick up languages much more quickly that if you just knew how to do things in one language without understanding the actual theory behind them.
mrVariable wrote:
Currently, I dont do programs, Im just reading from the book.

Wait, you just graduated with an associates in Comp Sci and you don't do programs? Do you mean you haven't yet at all... or?
One thing I think is important to note is that when you graduate with your degree most of the entry level positions you will be applying for aren't expecting you to know how they do everything. They aren't expecting you to know how to use certain frameworks that they are using (Though if you do that is a bonus point).

Instead the company is only expecting you to know the basics and have a good grounding on how programming works, they are willing to "teach" you the rest to a certain degree. Most people see college as the place where they will learn everything they need to know when they enter the software field, and this just isn't true. College is where you are tought the basics or the groundwork so to speak. Then when you are hired by a company they will take that groundwork you built up and and slowly build upon it and specialize it to their needs.

So I wouldn't fret to much, companies are willing to take the time to train you in fact they expect to have to train you. Just make sure you have the basics of programming down, and by this I don't mean the basics of a language. Instead I mean knowing how to work through a larger problem piece by piece, knowing how to debug errors, knowing the fundamental basics of programming (Control statements, variables, objects, etc. etc.) and the list goes on.

Anything else you know is an added bonus (Frameworks, workflows like Agile, web programming, audio programming, etc.) and will make you more appealing to the recruiter for an entry level position.

If you want to look for ways to get yourself noticed when trying to get hired, all you need to do is start learning things for the field you want to join (For web programming learn some web frameworks, learn about databases, etc.) and most of all start making little projects that can demonstrate to employers that you have the necessary groundwork that they can build upon.

So to sum it up,

1). You don't need to know everything the company uses to get an entry level position.

2). College is meant to teach you the basics (Groundwork) of programming so that later the company can take that groundwork and build upon it.

3). If you know more then the basics you have a better chance over the other guys/gals but it isn't always needed to get hired.

4). Keep practicing new things, learn new frameworks for the field that interests you, and most of all create little programs and demos that can demonstrate your skills. They don't have to be full featured, just enough to show them you know the basics and are willing to learn.

Just my 2 cents.
Last edited on
Firedance and cheraphy... What I meant is that I cant program because my laptop passed away. Off course I know how to program and done many programs at school... What Im doing is creating algorithms using c++ concepts after each topics, reading other algo and source codes, answering review questions...

Z e r e o, wow thank you very much... I suddenly feel ease after reading your comment. I will follow your advice.
mrVariable wrote:
What I meant is that I cant program because my laptop passed away.

Oh, my bad. Thought it was unlikely :P
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.