• Forum
  • Lounge
  • What is the most universal scripting lan

What is the most universal scripting language?

Regardless of platform, what is the most common or universal scripting language? By scripting language, I mean anything that is written in plain text, gets processed by a binary executable to run commands but never gets compiled into a binary exec. Keep in mind that everyone seems to own or have once owned a TI calculator, so TI-BASIC is a candidate. I need to know because I want to demonstrate the reverse engineering and improving of an existing system. The newly created one being the script.
If platform WAS part of the equation, I'd say shell scripting. Otherwise my guess is python.
Last edited on
PHP and then JavaScript, thanks to their use on the web, it would appear.

The Programming Language Popularity site ( http://langpop.com ) places them (out of the scripting languages) nearest the top of list, followed by Python, shell, Ruby, Perl, ...

Andy

Last edited on
Web languages are a no-no because they have to terminate. The issue with shell scripting is that many users may be running windows, linux, mac all the way to their calculator, C64, msDOS or maybe just pen and paper. The idea is that I can demonstrate the system in a way that everyone can understand.

What are the perks of python? Can you give a general description of it?
RealGiganitris wrote:

The Python site is best: https://www.python.org/

Python is a lot like C++ in its ability to mix and match programming paradigms, but it is very simple and easy to use.
How did ahtisham755 manage to make 29 posts of that exact same thing without being banned??
No idea. Though I wish he would vary his spam a bit, would be easier to make my spam bot watchdog bot more versatile if he did. Ooooh. Blacklist. Adding that.

(incidentally I should be able to start testing it in a few weeks. Gunna save a few pages to inject spam posts into to use as an offline testbed)
How did ahtisham755 manage to make 29 posts of that exact same thing without being banned??
My guess is he (it) is reporting his own posts to prevent anyone else from reporting and subsequently deleting the posts.
My guess is he (it) is reporting his own posts to prevent anyone else from reporting and subsequently deleting the posts.

At least in this case I was the one that reported his post. Not sure about the others. Though probably shouldn't take over this thread with posts about him.

Its biggest perk would be the ease of learning and use of the language in my opinion. It shares a lot of similarities with the English language so it is easier to learn for people that aren't familiar with common programming syntax. Other perks are it is highly portable, has a good number of modules built in so things are more standardized and lastly works well with C++.

If we don't consider web oriented scripting languages like JavaScript I would say from my own experiences Python is probably the most used scripting language I have seen across multiple types of programming.
Okay, thanks! Python it is!

(incidentally I should be able to start testing it in a few weeks. Gunna save a few pages to inject spam posts into to use as an offline testbed)

Wait, did you make a spambot or an antispambot? Are you doing tests on malware? This is my fantasy: http://files1.viruszoo.com/xkcd.png Wouldn't be amazing if they could mutate, as if they have genetics?
RealGiganitris wrote:
Wait, did you make a spambot or an antispambot?

Antispambot. It looks for things that might be spam, sends me the content of the post, and gives me a link to the post so I can report it. I'm always at my computer anyways :P
http://xkcd.com/927/

Your answer is probably python. Though it's not universal, it can be used on the three biggest operating systems: OSx, Linux, and Windows.
IWishIKnew thanks, it's okay if some can't write it, just so that everyone can read it and most can write. Nice web comic, I've never read it before but I fell in love with the malware one long, long ago. Cheraphy, how does it work?
Well I have two versions of the spambot detection functionality. One is a naive and simple approach that looks at (in no particular order):

User:
* How long ago they joined
* Number of posts
* Number of threads started by them in the first 3 pages of each subforum
* If user is blacklisted

* URL is blacklisted
* Number of paragraphs
* Length of each paragraph
* Number of URLs per paragraph

Each of these statistics are weighted and are used to calculate a decimal value between 0 and 1. The closer it is to one, the more the watchdog is sure about a post being spam. If it is sufficiently certain it's found spam it opens a dialog box that displays the post's content and the option to open up a link to that post in chrome. I'll be tuning the weights and how the certainty is calculated once it's had some live time to have some false positives and negatives.

The other approach is still in the planning and research phase and involves supervised training of a neural net. Need tons more examples of spam for that. Haven't decided how I'm going to acquire them yet.
Last edited on
Yahoo answers and youtube comments seem to be a wonderland for spam.
Yea, but automating scraping them. Don't feel like sifting through comments for the next 3 weeks, lol.
I wonder if in the future, spam bots will be so good that they can successfully pose as legitimate regular long term forum goers, even earn the communities trust and respect, very subtly promoting things. But together, they could dominate all of the worlds internet forums, and be effective.

We already have AI writing most news articles, blogging, etc. They claim you can't really tell the difference between an article written by a human or a machine. What happens when these abilities advance to the extreme, to the point that nothing on the internet can be trusted as coming from a real person. And the internet will just become a mess full of manipulative AI bots trying to influence how we all think, to make someone rich or win elections...

Can you imagine, millions and millions of ultra-realistic sleeper bots, posing as real, well behaved, objective people, just waiting for the 2016 election season to go into campaign mode.

Last edited on
http://xkcd.com/810/

MISSION FUCKING ACCOMPLISHED. ;)
Last edited on
closed account (3hM2Nwbp)
@htirwin - human spam bots exist now...they're called marketeers. The leap to automating what they do isn't inconceivable.

Disclaimer: Part of my current position is marketing...and I've largely automated my campaign through template generation and clever use of php form manipulation. What was once an hours work is now 90 seconds so I can devote the remainder to development. I might be working myself out of a job, but it looks DAMN GOOD on a resume.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.