Do you cycle to work?

Pages: 12
If not, you should try it.

* It's great exercise, particularly if you can find a good route.
* It's roughly as cheap as public transportation, only way faster (depending on your exact commute and with some training) and more reliable.
* It's lots of fun and great for the mood. There's something about blasting down the road and matching the speed of motor vehicles as your heart is in a constant state of explosion, that makes you feel like a million bucks. There's nothing quite like it.

Don't be discouraged if you've never ridden a bike before. I only learned after I turned 24. It's been three years and I can confidently say it's the best decision I've taken.

Do you ride to work? What do you ride? What do you wear?

Finally, a picture of my mighty steed: http://i59.tinypic.com/358o429.jpg
(Yes, this has all been a pretext to show off my new bike.)

Unless you are doing a 12 hour amazon shift?

Nice bike though. I see you ride with your ass in the air? Or are you just tall?
I have freakishly long legs for my height. The saddle is at most 7 cm higher than what normally-proportioned adults should use it at, though.

12 hour amazon shift
I have no idea what that means.
nice to know that your quite early accident didn't discourage you.

> it's roughly as cheap as public transportation
here the bus it's quite expensive (more than half a litre of milk), fortunately I'm not too far away so can simply walk
, as long as you live in an urban area.
My truck has trouble getting the 1/2 mile to the pavement, and my mailbox some times.
Closest, anything to me is 5 miles, and that is just a convenience store.
Add another 5 miles to get to the grocery store.
10 more miles for me to get to school.
Closest bus stop is about 25 miles.
Closest CS job prospect is about 60 miles.

You could not pay me enough to switch to peddle power.
Stop whining and HTFU.
I've thought about biking to work over the summer, but it's about a 15 mile ride and I have a hard enough time getting up early enough to allow for highway drive time, let alone biking time. Then for the other 9 months we have lots of snow, wind and frigid temperatures. I have been biking around for fun though, it's good exercise and isn't as hard on your legs as running is.
That shouldn't take longer than 70 minutes, unless you don't have green waves passing through your route.
I wouldn't know what it's like riding with snow. Back in 2007 we had the only snowfall in the last 80+ years.
Last edited on
There is no public transportation where I live and I do not yet have a car (saving for one though.

It would take me at least 2 hours to bike to work. My shifts are usually 10 to 12 hours long. So, if I were to bike I would have to assume between 14 and 16 hours dedicated to work. Assuming I plan on getting a healthy amount of sleep, that gives me at most 2 hours to dedicated to studying to go back to school, working on programming projects, relaxing, family time, etc. Of course I get days off completely, but rarely do they occur back to back.

So, I call a cab. Takes up about 50 bucks each week. I'd love to bike to work, but that's just not an option.
I'm considering getting a cheap bike, because where I'm working/interning (at ARM!) everybody cycles and the only bus from my house takes the longest route (into the town centre and then out the other side in a U shape) and costs £4/day. It's only about 3 miles by bike. This way I will be able to leave at 8:30 and easily make it in for 9.

(Yes, this has all been a pretext to show off my new job.)
Last edited on
Sweet gig, brah. What do you do there?

the only bus from my house takes the longest route (into the town centre and then out the other side in a U shape)
That's partly why I started cycling. The bus from home to the university campus takes a J-shaped route through the narrow streets in downtown, at rush hours. Some turns take a full minute or more to negotiate. A bike taking the fastest route takes roughly half as long.
How can you guys cycle to work without being all hot and sweaty when you get there? Especially while wearing something like a suit and tie!
I wear full road gear and change into everyday clothes when I arrive. My workplace is pretty laid-back, so I don't have to worry about how to shove a suit into the bag I leave on my chair without getting wrinkles on it. I've seen a few people riding in business suits and I gotta say, it does not look comfortable. They won't be spinning at 110 RPM on those pants, I can tell you that.
Regarding sweat, moisture wicking fabrics keep me pretty dry, particular at high speeds. It's only when slowing down that sweat builds up. A couple splashes of water on my face get rid the excess heat so I don't continue sweating. Worst case scenario, I need to stand under the AC for a couple minutes, but that's only on the really hot days. I haven't heard any complaints about smell, so I'm hoping that's kept at acceptable levels.
I wouldn't be able to bike ride to work, no time to go that distance and if I did, that's way too much energy already gone by before 8:00. It sounds nice, and I'm glad people who can do so, but it just doesn't seem to be worth the effort for me at least - for one thing, you'd have to carry everything you need with you on a backpack (food, water, supplies if you need any for that day). This would also include a change of clothes, since I know I'd be covered in sweat, especially in the summer, and those clothes would of course get wrinkled, as others have mentioned.

To top it off, I honestly would be scared to go anywhere near a car going probably 65 miles per hour, 10 miles above the speed limit.
Last edited on
I don't bike to work - because I don't work - but every sunday I do 30 miles on the trails.
I use a Nishiki 29x2.1 Mountain Bike
Although I can't use it until some tires & tubes arrive because after the rain the other day there were a billion little twigs on the trail and my dad and I managed to get a flat tire each. It was a long 7-mile walk of shame home....
Last edited on
I was contemplating on getting a bike to ride to work, but unfortunately when work is 30 miles away and you have to be at work at 6am and work 9-13 hour shifts M-F and it is around 100-115 degrees outside I found it to be an easy choice of driving there and yes waking up at 4 am then going to sleep around 7-8 pm every day is pretty annoying but that is life.
no time to go that distance
What sort of distances are we talking about?

that's way too much energy already gone by before 8:00
Exercise burns energy, but also makes you more energetic by both increasing your metabolism and your glycogen stores. Even though you may be more tired immediately afterwards, you'll have more energy throughout the day. And with a daily routine even that initial weariness goes away.

everything you need with you on a backpack (food, water, supplies if you need any for that day).
I almost never carry a backpack, only when I need to change the clothes I keep at the office. Some people may need to take things with them daily, but it's not a given that you need to carry a backpack.
A water bottle or two can be attached to the frame. On hot days, 0.5 l before starting and 1 l per hour is pretty much standard.

To top it off, I honestly would be scared to go anywhere near a car going probably 65 miles per hour, 10 miles above the speed limit.
Then don't ride on the freeway, fool!

Although I can't use it until some tires & tubes arrive because after the rain the other day there were a billion little twigs on the trail and my dad and I managed to get a flat tire each. It was a long 7-mile walk of shame home.
I thought it was pretty much standard practice to always carry at least one spare tube. Or are you saying the tires got straight up shredded?
Last edited on
> you'd have to carry everything you need with you on a backpack
fot that there is the always useful basket
https://www.tuelsalvador.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Bicicleta_BMX_Co_53b5a4702ac77.jpg
+1 ne555, also of importance are the tassels and glitter which add to your visibility. I promise that if you ride that bad boy into the office, there isn't a distraction in the world that will prevent a passing motorist from noticing you.

Honestly I'm glad that I have taken up biking to work. My city has gone with this new initiative where they've taken physically half of the busiest streets in the our metropolitan area and dedicated them to bicycle lanes. I for one am happy to put up with the added congestion in traffic and the resulting increase in aggression from everyone as a result. It just fills my heart with joy when I see both of the other people in our city utilising this now proprietary avenue to get to their destination as well, while the sidewalks remain clear for the non-existent pedestrian traffic. I can't wait to see what urban improvement comes next! Perhaps we'll see motorcades of rickshaws rolling through our city soon.

I have to say though, that the most attractive prospect of it all was the evident authority to pick and choose which traffic laws I want to follow at any given moment. To hell with the posted speed limit, a leisurely 10 MPH is an appropriate rate to travel at during rush hour. Helmet laws? What are you crazy? I just had my hair done! Never mind that I smell like a week old gym sock when I get to the office, at least I won't have helmet head. No turn on red you say? Pfft, everyone knows that that only applies to cars. Boy I feel sorry for you suckers who have to park in designated areas like civilised people; I just carry my bike into the office and put it down wherever is the most convenient for me at that moment. Those two hand signals to indicate which way I intend to turn are just too much to remember though, the way I see it is that motion attracts the eye. Therefore if I turn out in front of the car next to me fast enough then they are bound to notice me; silly hippies are always trying to complicate things with their buzz words like "safety" and "consideration for others".

I didn't mean this as a slight to anyone. It just felt like a good time for a satirical rant. Truth be told is that if it wasn't for the expectation that comes with being "on call", I would prefer to mothball my second car and keep it as a backup. A net decrease in my insurance, maintenance and gasoline costs along with a guaranteed improvement in my health? You'd have to be brain dead not to give it due consideration.
Last edited on
I thought it was pretty much standard practice to always carry at least one spare tube. Or are you saying the tires got straight up shredded?

There was a hole the size of a dime in the tire, and for some reason my spare tube was a 26" instead of a 29".
Pages: 12