Third week of record breaking heat...

Pages: 12
Avilius, i hope you are being ironic. If you shut your AC down thinking yours will make a difference, not only are you a masochist, you mustn't be very intelligent.
...I'm pretty sure he couldn't have been more sarcastic if he actually spoke that sentence.
You never know what kind of reasonless extremists you find online
Yes, my post was of a satirical nature.
No horse in the UK even has AC, we just deal with it for 3 weeks a year... drink more fluids, put on some sun cream, carry on your day complaining about the heat. (But hey, we don't kill the planet quite as much)
For the future, please use [sarcasm] and [/sarcasm].

And @MotherNature, I'm loving how it went from being -2 degrees with 16 inches of snow to 105 and no precipitation at all.
I agree, text does not convey entonation or expression, one can only guess if it's sarcastic or not.

And for the future, please use Celsius. Fahrenheit makes absolutely no sense. Which kind of drugs must have the guy who invented it been on?

EDIT: After reading up on the internet, which may not be the most reliable of sources, but still... How can a country with such an impact as the US keep using the imperial system and the Fahrenheit temperature unit. Fahrenheit is ridiculous, and the why it ever got implemented intrigues me. To what mind does it make sense that water freezes at 32º and boils at 212º? The imperial system doesn't make any sense either for the simple fact that the rest of the world uses the metric system. But well, the US have to be different and stand out for the fact that they complicate everything...
Last edited on
When faced with any atypically strong reaction that is not aggressive in a conversation that had been relaxed up until that point, especially if that reaction is humorous or unusually extreme, it is safe to assume sarcasm first.

-Albatross

Also, yes, the imperial system is silly.
To what mind does it make sense that water freezes at 32º and boils at 212º?

Why does it make sense that a temperature scale is based on the freezing and boiling point of water?
Because the temperatures at which water is liquid are most relevant to both weather and human physiology?
Wikipedia wrote:
On Fahrenheit's original scale the lower defining point was the lowest temperature to which he could reproducibly cool brine (defining 0 degrees), while the highest was that of the average human core body temperature (defining 96 degrees).

Well that's stupid... Using 2 different sources for your scale end points, and the fact that one of them is dependant on particular equipment at the time.

If you're unaware the 2 end points for water are the boiling point at 100kPa and the triple point of water. However the triple point is given a temperature that we worked it out to be from Celsius being defined as the freezing point of water at 100kPa (I think).
so the end points are actually something like 0.015 - 100.0

#themoreyouknow :p

The imperial system did make sense... quite a long time ago when we had no strict scientifically defined units, the kg has been redefined again not too long ago and we now believe it's all good because it's independent of other factors and kind of defined by referencing to itself (it's a little strange, but it's on veritasium if you're interested "world's roundest object").

#whythefeckdotheseexist?
Because the temperatures at which water is liquid are most relevant to both weather and human physiology?

Exactly.

Well that's stupid... Using 2 different sources for your scale end points, and the fact that one of them is dependant on particular equipment at the time.

Neither are endpoints in either scales. The range extends beyond them in both directions. The fact that 0 and 100 have to be some defining points on the scale is arbitrary to start with. The really stupid thing is that negative numbers are used at all for temperature values. This makes no sense physically. But Fahrenheit is much more human and weather centric than Celsius, so in the sense that both of them are arbitrary and non-nonsensical from a strict physical sense, I don't see how Celsius makes any more sense to use. Both are chosen to be intuitive. The question is which is more intuitive for which purposes? IMO, Fahrenheit wins no contest for air temperature.
Last edited on
Okay, so I chose the wrong word... calibration points.

And I understand using the body as one of these points, what I don't get is using a completely different and unrelated source, and an artificial one at that, as the second calibration point.

EDIT: as for negatives, that's why the scientific standard is kelvin
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.
Pages: 12