How's FreeBSD's Blu-Ray Support?

So my blu-ray player reached the end of it's reasonably long life and I'm looking for a replacement. Instead of dropping 200 dollars on an inflexible piece of hardware, I figured that I might as well just build a much more useful budget PC instead.

Windows is pretty expensive, so I decided to download a FOSS OS, and settled with FreeBSD. Not only would this save me about a hundred dollars, but I'd also have a brand new build target to port my projects to along with the ability to test it.

I heard that *nix Blu-ray support was pretty much non-existent several years ago, is this still true? How is the driver situation?

If it isn't great I'll just settle for Linux or dish out money for Windows.
Isn't BSD a bit overkill for a settop computer? Any particular feature you need that you can't get in one of those nifty micro-distros?
I don't know, I never used a micro-distro before. Can you recommend one? Does it play blu-ray well?
Well, I can't really recommend one, but since they're so small, downloading a few and trying each one from a Flash drive to see if they support your hardware [edit]is not too hard[/edit].
Last edited on
FreeBSD has a Linux compatibility layer so it should work with most things that work on Linux. Probably not drivers, though.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.