Just installed Windows 10...

Pages: 123
1. Create your own path.
2. Add it to the environment's PATH variable.
3. ???
4. You can't profit from this.

Tip:
C:\Users\SGH>where cmd
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe

C:\Users\SGH>where grep
C:\Path\bin\grep.exe
Last edited on
SGH wrote:
Anybody had this issue yet?
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3f6dw4/a_moment_of_silence_for_the_first_fallen_hero_of/
No. It's 2015 and people still don't stream? I do not feel bad for this man.

I'm liking the OS so far, but now I have to start on the painstaking journey riddled with booby traps, poisonous disk space bloat, and unconsented subscriptions... also known as the Visual Studio installation process.
Last edited on
I can't run snippingtool.exe from the command line...
I can.
Anyone mind helping me? I think I'm just being overly cautious (edit: and dreadfully tired I should go to bed), but I'm not sure of Microsoft's wording. What I'm trying to do is just get the .ISO file for Windows 10 so that I can either put it on its own boot or use it with VMWare.

Is Windows Update going to give me the ISO or is it going to try to automatically install Windows 10? Right now Windows Update says "Check your PC before upgrading" but then under that says "Before installing Windows 10 Insider Preview, something needs your attention". Microsoft website is being vague and unhelpful http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade
Will there be confirmation before it actually installs Windows 10?
At what point is Windows Update going to actually give me the ISO or does Windows Update not to that and I have to download the ISO separately? Thanks.
Last edited on
Windows Update will only try to upgrade your PC. If you want to create installation media, use the media creation tool:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

That tool can also be used to manually upgrade the PC you run it on, skipping the wait in line.
> What I'm trying to do is just get the .ISO file for Windows 10

Download: http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Run it and choose: Create installation media for another PC See:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10#

a. To upgrade an existing installation, download as .iso, mount the iso and run setup.exe from the mount. Or if you downloaded to an empty USB flash drive, run setup.exe from the USB.

b. For a clean install, downloaded to a USB, and reboot from the USB flash drive.

Note: For a free upgrade with clean install (strongly recommended), first upgrade with step a. (this will activate the licence automatically) and after it is activated do a clean install with step b.

Do all this after you have got some sleep and your head is clear.
After re-reading everything on this page:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10#
@JLBorges I didn't have to do any mounting or use any discs or USBs to do a clean install of Windows 10 and upgrade my license. I just ran the media creation tool, asked it to upgrade my PC, and told it to not keep any data or programs.
> I just ran the media creation tool, asked it to upgrade my PC, and told it to not keep any data or programs.

To me, a "clean install" is an installation of an operating system on a hard drive which has absolutely nothing on it. It starts with creating partitions, formatting volumes. A clean install is similar to installing an operating system on pristine hardware. (With Windows, ideally disconnect removable hard drives before starting the clean install.)

See 'How to perform a clean installation of Windows' at the bottom of this page:
Thanks guys, I'll download it separate and use the tool.
I generally do not dislike Windows 10 and 8. There is one problem though. These operating systems are meant to be used on smartphones and tablets. Using them on a PC just sucks. They should have continued making new Windows version the way they used to, and just have a Windows Phone OS. Something similar to what apple did.
Why exactly does it suck? I get why some people hated using 8 on PC but I use 10 on my (non-touchscreen) laptop and never have any problems with it.
> nowadays we have external harddrive it takes no longer time to stock it all , then format the machine for a clean-up , then put everything back (the data).
I think Windows 10 is the perfect blend of touch and mouse. You can use a mouse and keyboard and have a full experience, and if you have a touchscreen you can just use that to augment your control of the machine. While a touchscreen is nice it isn't necessary to feel at home in Windows 10.

jasongog24 wrote:
They should have continued making new Windows version the way they used to, and just have a Windows Phone OS. Something similar to what apple did.

There are separate modes for tablets and desktops in Windows 10. Settings -> System -> Tablet Mode
So far my only complaints are bugs. My volume icon keeps disappearing and getting greyed out in the settings page where you enable it again, and the only fix is to delete a registry key and restart. Except this happens every other restart. I also had to disable fast start in order to be able to shut down my computer fully - otherwise the OS would shut down and then not power down all the way as the kernel session was still active, and eventually it would boot back up. There's more minor bugs but none of them are frequent enough or annoying enough for me to remember them.

Other than the bugs, I actually like Win10 more than Win7.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Overall I like Windows 10.

When I first upgraded I had numerous issues with little things not working properly, I ran sfc.exe and it fixed some corrupt files. Seemed to work better after that.

A couple of niggles:

If I have hardware virtualisation enabled it didn't shut down fully. (haven't tested this recently though)

When I boot, one of the screens doesn't come on properly (doesn't recognise the monitor or have the correct resolutions available) and I have to reboot before it comes on correctly.

It does seem to do a hell of a lot of updates and I'm not sure I like the lack of control you have over updates.

Last edited on
The updates don't bug. They've yet to even tell me about them while I'm actually using my computer. Usually I'll get on in the evening and see that it updated while I was away.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
It is more the lack of control that I have a issue with. We have a customer who is having a driver update (that causes problems as the driver that it replaces is customised). We help them roll back the driver to get them working and set Windows to not update drivers. A few days later it updates the driver again. We have run Microsofts utility to hide the update but still it updates the driver after a few days.
Ah yeah I could see from that point of view it would be really annoying. Supposedly you can turn off automatic updates through group policies.
Grey Wolf wrote:
It does seem to do a hell of a lot of updates and I'm not sure I like the lack of control you have over updates.
I usually don't even notice updates because updates that require restarts don't happen very often, maybe once a week at most.

I have it set to ask me before restarting my computer so I can schedule a time or do it right then.
I believe that updates can be deferred in all but the home versions of Windows 10, but maybe I'm wrong. I've always had my machines auto-update though, so the new system isn't much of a change for me.
Pages: 123