Closing maximized windows with multiple monitors

I habitually use my mouse to close maximized windows by flinging it to the top right corner and clicking. Maybe you use the keyboard or some other mechanism, but I use the mouse. So back when I still used Windows 7, I got a second larger display to the right of my primary display. I quickly found out that whenever I tried to close a maximized window on my primary display, my mouse would always swing over to the other screen, missing the close button. No problem, I'll just get used to it.

Now that I have Windows 10, I've discovered this annoying issue where in the top right of my primary display there is a 5 pixel boundary that my mouse can only cross going from right to left - my cursor would stop and stay on my primary display when going from left to right. By this point I was so used to moving my mouse to my second display this way that I found it annoying and couldn't understand why it existed, until I remembered that that area is exactly where I would fling my mouse to in order to close a wind... oh. Now I understand - it's meant to be a convenience for mouse flickers like me.

I honestly don't know if I like it or not. It makes it easier to close windows the way I am used to on my primary display, but it's annoying when I'm actually trying to move to the upper half of my second screen. I think the main reason it's annoying is because it only works half the time - obviously there's a speed threshold for it and my flick speed is right on the border.

Has anyone else noticed this? What are your thoughts?

Also, fun fact: there's another directional border at the bottom left of the secondary display, for the start button mouse flickers out there.
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Have you got your monitors aligned properly in properties?
https://i.imgur.com/vmhLvlo.png

Moving from the top right of display 1 to display 2 is stopped by the 5 pixel one way barrier.
Last edited on
Ah yes, I understand now...

If it the same as Windows 8, I think a quick regedit will get rid.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control Pannel/Desktop look for MouseCornerClipLength and set it to 0. Reboot and see if that helps.

Edit: I have not been able to reproduce your experience...yet
Last edited on
Yes, I found the same information as you on how to disable it, but right now I'm trying to decide whether I find it useful or not. What would you think?
Last edited on
It would probably annoy my very quickly. I have my mouse set with a high resolution so moving it round in a space the size of a business card gets me all over both screens. Stalling the pointer would not be good.
That sounds like yet another thing the big companies are making more of a hassle for the many, for the benefit of the few. And even if the majority do like it, is just one more tiny thing to bulk up the OS, along with those other million tiny things that are mostly useless.

I've not got a 2 monitor setup at moment (but could test with win 10 laptop and pc monitor if I was bothered) but what I did when I did have two monitors for my pc was go to the screen resolution properties and drag the second monitor just below the corner so I can easily fling my mouse to the right to get to second screen or to top to get to the close button...

Eventually I actually moved the second screen so I can only get to and from it through a very small gap on a particular corner (my monitors were sat it different heights so going from bottom of one to top of other didn't bother me and actually seemed a little more intuitive). But this made for really easy transition between the two, and made it far more difficult to do it accidently when trying to get to something on one monitor by flinging to the edges.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.