C++ API business

Hello,

I started my programming career as a hobby, I liked C++ a lot so I made many projects for fun and learned C++. later I went to university to study programming and graduated, I've now worked at a company. However it is not the same to create a custom project you like in C++ compared to working at a company in e.g java. I need to find a better way of having programming as a career than right now. I think I want to create a business, with C++ for example. My thinking is to create an API I can sell. How do you people cope with programming as a career and what are your thoughts on developing your own API's as a long term business?
Last edited on
How do you people cope with programming as a career

I love it, it's the best career I could imagine. Chipping away at problems nobody else figured out (or at least figured out and spoke about it), working with famous people, using the most powerful hardware money can buy or even unreleased prototypes.

what are your thoughts on developing your own API's as a long term business

Developing an API is not a form of business (unless you are ISO, I suppose). Did you mean libraries? There are many commercial middleware libraries that use C++, in those markets where such business models are viable. Competition is tough, but entry is definitely possible.
Last edited on
If you're unhappy with how your job is using your skills, find a new job. Or try to move to a more interesting area of your current company if possible.
Don't stop writing code on your own time. I think they say you should be putting in 50% of the time you spend at work outside of work developing your skills.

I think I want to create a business, with C++ for example.

Limiting yourself to one language is a poor idea. Languages are just tools, learn several of them, use the best one for the situation. Plus, learning new languages/technologies is exciting.
I find it easier to cope with working on less than ideal projects if there are other things about the job I can take comfort in. One time I worked using Crystal Reports for scraps, in an office with no windows, with people without personalities, using inadequate hardware*, for 45 hours a week. After six weeks, I went out without saying anything and never went back. Second best decision I ever took.

I think, besides the work itself that you do, the most important things that make a job endurable or even enjoyable are the people you work with, the physical place you work in (e.g. is it a basement, or an office with a big window looking out to a park?), and the routine that surrounds your job (e.g. do you start the day with some exercise, or does a sizable portion of your morning involve being stuck in traffic?).

* Try to imagine a Visual Studio project that uses 900 MB of memory when loaded in a computer with 1 GB of RAM. Now imagine what fun it is when the compiler thrashes to build that project.
the most important things that make a job endurable or even enjoyable are the people you work with, the physical place you work in

Yes I agree with this. Maybe applying for more jobs and endure a bit longer until I decide to change income strategy and career.

Did you mean libraries?

Yes a library to include into a project to solve certain tasks
Last edited on
cubbi wrote:
Did you mean libraries?
eliascreate wrote:
Yes a library to include into a project to solve certain tasks

Yes, that can be a business. For example Talarian SmartSockets (bought by TIBCO for 115mil in 2002) and 29West (bought by Informatica for 130mil in 2010) both sold libraries their clients would incorporate directly into their projects (although Talarian had a server application too)
Yes, that can be a business. For example Talarian SmartSockets (bought by TIBCO for 115mil in 2002) and 29West (bought by Informatica for 130mil in 2010) both sold libraries their clients would incorporate directly into their projects (although Talarian had a server application too)

That is good news, libraries are always used, if you anyway create a project you can as well create a library if you think it will be beneficial, and that library you can later publish
I just want to say that while you can make a business from library development, it will probably be very tough to become decently profitable. I don't want to discourage you, but I would suggest not quitting your day job over it.
There are a lot of positive things about starting a business like you're talking about, businesses are difficult to start overnight, perhaps you could start small? Work on some potential projects, get something in the wild, let that asset grow, and slowly move yourself away from a 9-5?

I'm in the midst of doing something similar, saving a ton of money- making the products that will be valuable when I'm ready to start off on my own. It is a bit unwise to cut off your only income and rely on something you haven't even tried yet!

Soooo try it! :) no reason to not start a business, it takes a couple hours and a bit of research.
Work on some potential projects, get something in the wild, let that asset grow, and slowly move yourself away from a 9-5?

Yes this is probably the best choice right now
+1/2 ultifinitus

@ OP: This is a tricky thing to give advice about, I'm also a small business owner by the way. Just be mindful of your NCC and NCND agreements, that means you actually need to read them.

One other thing I did want to address with you OP. This whole idea of "Do what you love and the money will come" is bullshit, this is why small businesses fail; not due to a lack of effort or ability but because of a lack of perspective. You can work yourself to the bone at 80 hours a week, but if you ignore the gainful opportunities that come up just because it's not the kind of work you want to be doing, or even worse because of some displaced sense of loyalty (see the term toxic client), then you are going to fail. Identify a need that you are good at fulfilling and do that.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.