C++ Instructors

Pages: 123456
mcleano wrote:
Thats because they haven't got the marketting/advertising that Norton and Macafee have! :(

Funny you should mention McAfee. That's what my parents use. Then my sister started complaining that the computer was "slow" (seriously; could you add sin(4.3867492458e+10) and cos(8.0) in less than a second?) so I disabled it. Then my parents complained that... *drum roll* they couldn't see the tray icon so it meant that "hackers" were going to break the whole computer!

Another time, when I explained that I use a different OS to them; they had a go at me because it meant I wasn't using antivirus protection. WHAT?

I also spend a lot of time going to others computers and sorting them out. Fortunately though I get paid for it and when I say "No no its ok I don't need it" they're just like "No its fine dont worry about it" because i'm "young" lol.

I don't get paid :(
Then again, it is usually my fault... I remember that time I corrupted the ntfs partition and had to get up at 9 am the next morning (bearing in mind on weekends I'm usually awake from about 1 pm until 4 am) to fix it; where "fix" is "open up a command prompt window and type "chkdsk /f C:" and reboot." For all I say about windows, the hard drive partitioning program and chkdsk are two excellent programs. Edit: also, replace "that time" with "those times."

I say "No no its ok I don't need it"

Are you insane?
Last edited on
That's what you get for a) listening to them, and b) trying to explain anything. It is a well known fact that most users don't know what they want. It is therefore important to cover your ass by a) not listening to them, or b) doing what they want and keeping a voice recording of their request so you can avoid responsibility. Any energy you use on trying to explain alternatives will be wasted.
I guess... :(
@ chrisname ... Not insane just a charming young lad :D ha!

Yeah chkdsk is good except for the long period of time you need to actually run it for!
Depends what you run it with, the size, speed and usage of your disk, and the speed of your CPU, RAM etc.

If I run it with ckdsk /f /r /b it takes about four hours. If I run chkdsk /f it takes about ten minutes... :l
Sorry yeah I meant with parameters.
Yay my birthday just happened and I got a c++ book called "C++ Primer Plus by Stephen Prata" so far it looks nice and I'm going through the basics again so far it looks good :) AND it's like 1,097 pages long yay XD XD XD XD (hmm ... should probably stop doing that or someone will complain ...) XD And I alos got:

1:book light(which has a bible verse on it)
2:two christian shirts
3:a movie called"Pendragon"(which happens to be christian as well)
4: a card
5: the c++ book(mentioned afore)

The movie is good (though bad when compared to LoTR)

yay XD

And I'm 15 XD

(another half a month and I can drive)

XD
WHAT? You can drive at FIFTEEN in America?

At what age can you shoot people commit mass murder buy guns for committing mass murder killing small animals firing at firing rages?
You can drive at 16. You can start driving at 15.5 with a parent.
DrChill, you're younger than me?
The gun age is 21 IIRC, although I don't really know, probably going to eventually buy one for the coming Zombie Apocalypse. ;)
I recommend the SPAS-12 if it's legal where you live. Otherwise, any sort of pump action shotgun will do. Whatever you do, don't get a rifle. The last thing you want is to have to aim carefully at your dad while he's running towards to chew your face off. Breech loaders are best avoided, as well.
Also buy a baseball bat if you don't already have one. Shotguns are nice, but shells eventually run out.
If it's slow zombies, I'll be sticking with an M1-Garand. If they are fast zombies, Auto-shotties all the way!
+1 for baseball bat. Chainsaws are simply too heavy and they run out of gas pretty quick.

There's a castle near where I live so I'm ok.

As for guns, I'm screwed living in England. I guess I'd have to go to my nearest army surplus store. The problem is, I need a train to get there and it's in the centre of London.
Last edited on
Baseball bat would work well in a pinch, but if you have money laying around, go get a real katana that can slice through bone and sinew.
Remember the valuable training FSPs should have given you: only use weapons for which ammo is readily available. If you go for an exotic weapon like an automatic, you'll find yourself in trouble pretty quickly. Where are you going to find the ammo for a gun like that? Not to mention that automatics can burn though mags in a mere couple of seconds.

Chainsaws are simply too heavy and they run out of gas pretty quick.
And dangerous. It's one thing to cut a tree, it's another to swing one and hope to hit something other than yourself. Cutting and stabbing weapons are pretty much useless in this scenario because they require more effort to produce the same damage than blunt weapons. If you need more than one swing to a zombie's head to produce useful damage, it's not worth it.
Bow and arrows are a possible exception, but only if you know how to use them, which you probably don't.

I'm thinking, can zombies get sick? They eat, and since a zombie has never been seen to burst from eating, it can be assumed that they digest and thus have some sort of metabolism. Not to mention that unless they used photosynthesis, if they didn't digest food they would violate the laws of thermodynamics, which either means they are impossible or our understanding of physics is wrong (I'm going for the latter).
So, can someone get, say, AIDS, after being zombified? I'm going to leave the how to your imagination, but anyway, can a zombie die from infection? They can die from trauma, so I'm guessing they can. And they've also been shown to be able to reproduce (Dawn of the Dead (2004)). So why exactly are they classified as undead when they are clearly living beings? Not even viruses are known to be this alive.
That depends. What do you think of as a zombie? An infected human or an undead human?

Resident Evil or Dead Rising?

Ok, now it's choice time.
1. Primary weapon
2. Secondary weapon
3. Melee weapon
4. Special item.
You can have one of each only. The special item can be anything; but it doesn't have to include food, clothing or anything like that. That's stuff you can scavenge.

For me:
1. Pump-action shotgun. These are good because you can start to load it; then if you see a zombie you can just pump and fire; and then continue loading; the problem being a lack of range.
2. Pistol from Halo CE. You know, the one that can take out banshees? You need a long range weapon to go with the shotgun; and what's better than an anti-material scoped pistol?
3. Axetinguisher (Pyro style).
4. Gordon Freeman's HEV suit.

But in seriousness;
1. Pump action shotgun.
2. Some kind of semi-automatic rifle.
3. Crowbar or baseball bat.
4. An incendiary grenade; if I get overpowered I would let the grenade off. Zombies wouldn't be smart enough to get away, would they? At least that would stop me from becoming one of them... hopefully.

A flamethrower is good but it's cumbersome; fire is excellent against zombies as it destroys their flesh; but a flamethrower eats up ammo and is really heavy.
The advantages of being this guy: http://nrk.no/p3/blog/kongkord/files/2007/07/pyro_soldier001.jpg are that you are protected form zombie bites and what not but you'd run out of ammo too quick.

As for Gordon Freeman, he is totally protected (except for the head) from bites and has a crowbar, which is an excellent weapon against zombies. It's between the crowbar and the baseball bat; the baseball bat is light and makes a satisfying cracking noise when you smash skulls with it; but the crowbar has a smaller surface area so it applies more pressure per inch; and it's versatile.

In the case of Master Chief; nothing is getting through that armour short of a couple of elites. But at the same time, to be Master Chief you need to be 8 foot tall and be biologically enhanced.

I'm gonna go with my choices above. A flamethrower is wasteful; whereas with a shotgun, you can stop loading it at any time and fire. A rifle is good for when you need to defend your castle wall or take out enemies at a long range but a pistol is a good all-purpose weapon. A baseball bat, while lighter than a crowbar, is also less powerful and a crowbar isn't all that heavy. As for the incendiary grenade... well hopefully I would never need that :)
Last edited on
Many automatic rifles have a semi-auto and/or burst (usually three round) fire mode. Get one in 7.62 or 5.56 and ammo should be more than plentiful enough (especially 5.56 here in the US since that is a very popular varmint caliber), at least relative to any other caliber of ammo except maybe .22.

Most sub-machine guns use handgun ammo like 9mm or .45 as well.

A select fire assault rifle or sub-machine gun with a large mag capacity will provide the most versatility. In single fire mode, you have a very controlled rate of fire and good short to medium range accuracy (even long range with a good assault rifle), along with a large mag capacity (20-30 rounds easily, but there are drum mags with upwards of 90+ round capacity as well). And should you suddenly find a mass of zombies just seconds from overruning you entirely, a flip to full auto could very well save your life.

I will agree that chainsaws are a bad weapon though. Likely as dangerous to the wielder as it is to his opponents, especially considering that the zombie affliction, whatever it is, is apparently highly contagious. One splatter to the face and you're likely infected, nevermind accidentally cutting yourself with a chainsaw covered in zombie carnage. In that respect though, virtually any CQB should be avoided if at all possible, as splatter from a gunshot or any other melee weapon can be just as lethal.

Ok, now it's choice time.
1. Primary weapon
2. Secondary weapon
3. Melee weapon
4. Special item.
You can have one of each only. The special item can be anything; but it doesn't have to include food, clothing or anything like that. That's stuff you can scavenge.

I'm going to choose to stick to real weapons for my outfitting. Sure, any sort of zombie apocalypse is completely Sci-fi itself, but this equipment would be useful in any sort of apocalyptic collapse of society and law & order.

1. Select Fire assault carbine, 5.56 caliber. 7.62 would provide more punch, but mag capacity as well as overall ammo carry capacity are more of a priority for me.
2. Any full frame handgun with a high mag capacity. The new Springfield Armory XD-M 9mm with a 20+1 capacity for example. Again, not quite as much punch as say a .40 or .45 caliber, but capacity is still the priority.
3. A nice axe or machete, due to their non-combat utility as well.
4. Night vision goggles. Should be pretty self-explanatory.
4. An incendiary grenade; if I get overpowered I would let the grenade off. Zombies wouldn't be smart enough to get away, would they? At least that would stop me from becoming one of them... hopefully.
fire is excellent against zombies as it destroys their flesh; but a flamethrower eats up ammo and is really heavy.
C'mon, dude. Everyone knows that incendiary weapons only make zombies on fire. The fire will eventually make them stop, but until then you've only made your situation worse by a) setting your pursuer on fire, making it even more dangerous, and b) having to stop for a second to attack, you've shortened the distance between you and the zombies.
Remember: zombies don't feel pain nor fatigue.

My #4 would be some kind of full body armor, preferably stab-proof. If you've seen 28 Days Later, you know what I mean. If they can't bite you, they can't infect you.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Would a FV4034 Challenger 2 main battle tank be cheating as a primary weapon?
Pages: 123456