Google's $200 WiFi router

https://on.google.com/hub/

I'm interested to know - do you legitimately have issues with your wifi router? The only slow thing about my router is the web interface, but I don't have any issues with it ever and in my family we constantly have 12+ devices connected to it. Do people just not take the time to learn how their router works?

I use a NetGear router, not for any particular reason.
Last edited on
No issues on my end, though we do use a rather ridiculous router. Something something something "Dark Knight" router; can't remember the full name. No issues with it whatsoever.
Comcast's stock router isn't bad, it just has horrendous WiFi signal. Of course, this problem is easily solved by disabling the integrated radio and using a third party access point (assuming the people at Fry's Electronics can tell you where they keep them, but that's an off-topic story).

Also, I don't know what they're spouting about "innovative circular radio design". IIRC, Netgear released a router with such a design shortly after 802.11n was finalized, albeit with 7 antennae instead of 6x2+1.

EDIT: "Choose a password you can remember, and share it with a friend using the Google On app." Okay, what is it with tech giants and WiFi password sharing?

-Albatross
Last edited on
TheRabbitologist wrote:
what is it with tech giants and WiFi password sharing?
What would you do if you had friends or family come to your house and they wanted to use your internet? My router has a guest network feature but the only reason people would come to my house is to have a chromecast party with me.
Well, the nice thing about my life situation is that friends and distant family don't come to my house, much less want to use its internet. So that's not something I've ever factored into my planning. A guest network is likely what I'd have set up if that weren't the case.

-Albatross
Finally, no blinking lights!
"Finally"? What kind of pervert doesn't like blinkenlights?

I see several references to "new ways Wi-Fi is used", yet no actual explanation of how these differ from what older routers were designed to handle, or what this one does different.

I guess they're going for the retard demographic who think hardware is meant to be looked at, instead of cheap and efficient. Does anyone with the sort of home in that diagram actually keep their routers inside the cupboard? Also, that diagram is rather exaggerated. At the office we have the Wi-Fi router in the server closet right next to the entrance, and I get a little bit of signal in the bathroom all the way at the back behind like five walls.
Sure, if you keep your router in the Faraday cage inside your cupboard, you're going to get shitty signal strength. Most people don't do this for that very reason.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
I don't trust Google at the best of times, I sure as hell 'aint going to put one of them in my house.
Last edited on
I trust Google fully, but $200 for a slightly better router is stupid IMO. I don't know who their target audience even is. Upper class people who can't be bothered to Google search how to set up their $30 router? Maybe their target audience is those people who buy products just to post reviews on them.
I just had a thought. This looks like the sort of nonsense that Apple would pull. Selling an overpriced and over-engineered product through misleading marketing whose primary redeeming feature is the techno-illiterate-friendly UI.

-Albatross
I wondered how long it would take for someone to slag off Apple.
There can be a substantial difference between how access points propagate signals. Most of the time it boils down to how many internal radios is it using. More radios = more signal paths = less dead zones. Some access points can be pretty smart about where they shoot their signal.

And the general consensus anymore is to put the access point where it's going to be used. People have been moving away from the whole stick them in a closet idea, because it's just a waste of signal strength.
closed account (18hRX9L8)
FYI: It's $200 for an Airport Extreme wireless router. http://www.apple.com/airport-extreme/
Last edited on
I can't think a good one that I have had that was cheap.
(your milage may vary)
IIRC, the NetGear router I have was <$50 and it has several features I've never used on top of all the essentials, and it even gets firmware updates from time to time.
Yes, NetGear, I quite liked the ones that I had...but that was the problem. I had to replace them too often.

I've had a few 3Com, apart from falling wall warts, I had to reboot them too often.

TP-link...DOA. It happens but I loose all faith in the company when it does on the first item I buy of theirs.

ISP provided ones...don't get me started.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.