SQL Compiler?

Hey so I know this is probably the wrong place to ask this, but I've been learning SQL for a little bit and I was wondering if there was a program that I could practice in that is similar to Visual Studio. Something where I would be able to code in and get some sort of output from. Thanks!
You'll need a database to run it against. There might be play databases on the web, I'm not sure. IMO your best option is to just install a database system of your choice and start messing with it.

SQL doesn't get compiled, it's not even really a programming language. It's a query language.
It does get compiled. But your advice is correct. Get a database installed and use it. Try to get hold of the query plans used in the queries. You will need large tables (millions of rows) to gain any useful insights.
closed account (18hRX9L8)
@kbw An SQL query does not get compiled into a program, if that's what you are saying. However, it can be "prepared".
Last edited on
You can use SQLite, which uses almost the same language that the large engines use, only the database is stored in a single file, so there's no need to run a complex database process, or to do any IPC. The implementation is distributed as a single amalgamated C source with its header.
Last edited on
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Aideux, If you are using Windows, take a look at SQL Server Express for the RDBMS and SQL Server Management Studio Express to do your DBA. Microsoft also have sample schemas that you can load and play with, look for Northwind
> @kbw An SQL query does not get compiled into a program
compiled != program. compiling at its core is turning A -> B.
This may not sound right or answer your question but for SQL I have been using Microsoft Office Access, you can setup databases and tables and send SQL queries.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.