• Forum
  • Lounge
  • #cplusplus.com - Our IRC Channel on Free

#cplusplus.com - Our IRC Channel on Freenode

With education systems around the world teaching at full swing (except for those on the quarter system, you folks may just be getting started), I thought I'd take the opportunity to remind folks that we have an IRC channel on Freenode!

The community there is quite different than it is here. First of all, it's much smaller. Secondly, it's not a strict subset of the community here. Some forum regulars and ex-regulars are there (including myself), as well as some folks from other programming communities.

We're generally friendly to people of all skill levels and make a point to avoid elitism, though we also have our periods of... mad silliness. It's a good place to:
* Make new friends.
* Chat about a variety of topics (which aren't always C++-related).
* Get brutally honest code review.
* Get more interactive help with C or C++ problems. As usual, however, we don't give out solutions.

We tend to be more active on weeknights (GMT-8 to GMT-5), though we have members from around the globe.

If you'd like to join us, visit #cplusplus.com on irc://irc.freenode.net. If you don't have an IRC client, no problem, you can also chat via webchat at https://kiwiirc.com/client

-Albatross
For those of you wanting to use IRC regularly, there are other "real" (for lack of a better term) clients for irc, such as:
* hexchat - a crossplatform irc client that is meant to somewhat resemble a terminal with a gui (one of my personal favorites)
* irssi - a command line ui client. afaik it is unices only.
* mIRC - a "windows only" (pfffttt) client that is supposedly good enough to buy a license for
* kiwiirc (as listed above) - another good irc client. not as feature rich as your typical desktop irc client, but very good for those that do not want to install an irc client.
* netcat w/ readline - the arguably best irc client.I use it all the time. A very good tool for learning the IRC protocol (if you want to start writing/pretending to be irc bots)
closed account (18hRX9L8)
nchambers wrote:
For those of you wanting to use IRC regularly, there are other "real" (for lack of a better term) clients for irc, such as:
* hexchat - a crossplatform irc client that is meant to somewhat resemble a terminal with a gui (one of my personal favorites)
* irssi - a command line ui client. afaik it is unices only.
* mIRC - a "windows only" (pfffttt) client that is supposedly good enough to buy a license for
* kiwiirc (as listed above) - another good irc client. not as feature rich as your typical desktop irc client, but very good for those that do not want to install an irc client.
* netcat w/ readline - the arguably best irc client.I use it all the time. A very good tool for learning the IRC protocol (if you want to start writing/pretending to be irc bots)

Don't forget LimeChat for Mac OS X! http://limechat.net/mac/ .
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.