GitHub Project

Hey so I am sorry that I deleted my other post on the lounge I didn't realize that anybody saw it.

Anyway I just wanted some general feedback about my coding abilities and comment writing abilities.

The project site is on the following webpage:
https://github.com/Hirokachi/SimpleNetworkReportingTool

I was hoping that I could get some pointers and ideas to were to go with the project. Just to let you know the project is in Java. Not sure if that would be a turn off.

I thought that the best way to understand how to do something better is to have others look at what I got and give feedback.

Thanks again.

-Hirokachi
Last edited on
So anybody have any feedback for me?
Just so it's clear, the reason no one is replying is probably not because you're being purposefully ignored. Netiquette dictates that one should not reply to say "I don't know" or to otherwise provide no useful information. No one will reply to say "sorry, I can't be bothered to look at your code" or "sorry, I'm a C++ programmer, not a Java programmer, so my opinion is worthless".
ok i didn't mean to make my comment
Hirokachi wrote:
So anybody have any feedback for me?
, but it does seem like it could have meant that.

For the above, I am sorry. I will be more patient. I didn't realize that Netiquette was particular about that. I should have done my homework. oh well, thanks for the feedback anyway.

I will just leave this topic here and check back in a while and see what happens. Just so it's clear i never meant for anyone to feel like that's what i was implying but it is an implication that i didn't think about.
Last edited on
No, I didn't mean that you were being impolite in any way. The kind of post you made is called a "bump" (because it bumps a thread back to the top of the list), which is acceptable.
I meant that it would be impolite for someone else to reply to your thread just to say that they have nothing to say.
A few things I did notice about your code is that I didn't like.

- When you grab the list of running processes, you're just shoving everything into a string vector when you should probably be parsing it into a more meaningful object on retrieval.

- The command tasklist will grab services as well as processes, 'taskkill' will end a running process, but a service will probably have a recovery option set that will just turn it back on again. The proper way to end a running service is to call sc stop SERVICE_NAME. This is going to add a layer of complexity that won't scale well with your current layout (see comment further down).

- Your "nextComputer()" function just feels conceptually broken. I'm sure that this is just a placeholder and that you intend to come back to it later though. I suggest scrapping Active Directory for machine names and testing to see if they are up. If you don't think that AD is an option, or you want your tool available to platforms without AD then try pinging broadcast and resolve the addresses to their CNAMES afterward. The last one isn't great because you could be wasting your time trying to connect to a smartphone or printer but it's something.

- Overall you are trying to use the command shell for a task that it is just not cut out for. WMI and\or Powershell will be much better suited in a hundred different ways for what you are trying to accomplish.
Last edited on
Those are good and valid points.

Thank you for replying and telling me how I could improve my program.

I think I need to re-figure how and what I want to do with the program. Rewrite the code and try to add your suggestions. I really appreciate your honest feedback.
I may be late to the party, but I have reviewed through your code and really like what you have done. Now I don't know Java so I have no idea what any of it means but using my common sense I could tell it looks really good. I really like it so I want to run it, but this may sound very stupid but, how do I execute this??

Ive tried the command in cmd

java SNRT.java

but it return with it saying that it couldn't find the main class

Please excuse my dumbness.
I usually run it by the netbeans IDE/editor. I was curious about how to run the files from a command line in windows and I realized that you will need to run and compile the program for it to work, as well as having the java run-time environment.

Here is some sites that can help with making this work:
http://introcs.cs.princeton.edu/java/15inout/windows-cmd.html
http://www.skylit.com/javamethods/faqs/javaindos.html

Thank you for your sweet compliment.

You aren't dumb, it's always easy once you learn how. You just need to relax and practice. In my opinion, when I relax and just practice coding and thinking about coding I tend to remember what I've learned better. Also, if you stress about it, it makes it less fun and less likely you are to continue working on the project. I've done that to myself a few times.

-Hirokachi
I require your help once again.

I've been working and enhancing my program called SNRT (Simple Network Reporting Tool) and i just want to have some experts (all of you) to take a look. I would like some pointers and ways that enhancing my program would make it better and more useful.

All I want to do with this program is make a useful program that helps others to monitor and enhance the ease of use of monitoring and fixing a network of computers. That's where I require assitance I am not sure if my algorithms are efficient or the GUI is easy to navigate or use.

I loved the honest reviews and pointers the last time I asked. I think that I have improved on the points that was told to me before. I want you guys to evaluate if I did that well and tell me if you have any other thoughts.

Please tell me what you think.

-Hirokachi
Last edited on
Does anybody have any feedback?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.