• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Let's Hate On StackExchange Code Review!

Let's Hate On StackExchange Code Review!

They are seriously nazis over there man. They completely re edit your posts to take out any semblance of creativity and life. Even the format they edit. I tell you what, if you look at my post in General C++ Programming titled Start Menu Console or something like that. I formatted it like that cause I think it looks pretty!

Suck on that StackExchange!

Of course they DID suck on it. Sucked it till they sucked the life right out of it and refused to take any sort of constructive feedback on their oppresive rules and regulations!

turtleSavage... OUT
Funny how the metaphor for someone demanding excessive discipline and punishing harshly if those demands aren't met is "nazi" and not, say, "soviet". Or "Maoist" for that matter.

Moving on. Is this it? http://codereview.stackexchange.com/questions/111330/blinking-console-start-menu

-Albatross
When you start with "Hello Butthoarders" I don't know what you expected to happen. You pretty blatantly insulted the community at large while at the same time asking for constructive criticism...
Last edited on
I can honestly say I've never been so offended by a humorous non hostile nickname that I would censor them. There's something disturbing about a system that doesn't tolerate criticism of the way it operates.
From looking through the revisions, you tried to reinstate an overall rather pointless preface to your code several times (I count 3), and then got salty the last time. Hmm. Tell me, in what way was trying to reverse something they had done to make your post more appealing for the folks on their site supposed to gain you any brownie points?
http://codereview.stackexchange.com/revisions/111330/4
http://codereview.stackexchange.com/revisions/111330/6
http://codereview.stackexchange.com/revisions/111330/10

Generally, the stackexchange sites are particularly unappreciative of fluff, filler, or noise: text that does not serve any particular purpose related to a question or answer. This makes sense; someone helping you wants to get right to the heart of the issue and not waste time reading something pointless. In turn, they generally try to afford the same respect in their answers. You might argue that their level of aversion to filler is excessive, but I think you'd find that it can be quite hard to draw a definitive line saying how much filler is too much.

Additionally, complaints about the way the site operates are also noise for the purpose of your question, and will additionally alienate potential repliers who see you as being entitled where clearly you are not. Not a smart move.

Editing the format of your post is not a matter of dislike for creativity. It's a matter of presenting information in a manner that others can digest easily and without wasting time.

EDIT: If they're rational, which they likely are, I'm willing to say that they would accept criticism of the way they operate, under three conditions:
1. The criticism is well-formed and valid for many of some noteworthy cluster (like beginners, or Pascal programmers).
2. The criticism is constructive, i.e. there is a proposed solution or proposal for a discussion to find the solution.
3. The criticism is given in the right place, i.e. the meta stackexchange for a given stackexchange community.
Yours fits none of those.

Also... the nickname "buttloaders" isn't really funny, nor is it inherently non-hostile especially when coupled with you calling them rude.

EDIT2: Also, I found this pertaining to the origins of that code that you were asking to be reviewed: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/general/179116/#msg881262
Just if anyone was interested.

-Albatross
Last edited on
To add on to rabbit's excellent post, stackoverflow (and family) can be viewed as an FAQ (and not so frequently asked questions too). The idea is to serve two goals: The first is to give an immediate, proper, relevant solutions to well constructed questions (something that everyone should learn how to do) (or what rabbit said). The second goal is for you to be able to google a random programming question, and come to a relevant answer in stackoverflow. Because these answered and questions will be searched for and viewed later, this is another reason why they like to keep answers and questions as terse and relevant as possible
turtlesavage wrote:
I can honestly say I've never been so offended by a humorous non hostile nickname that I would censor them.
It's not censorship, it's cutting out the unnecessary cruft so that the actual important details are all that remain. It's also a matter of appropriate tone - nobody is actually offended by what you said, but that doesn't make it any more reasonable to have said it.
Lmao. You guys are just as crusty yo. What the heck has happened to the programming community, or has it always been like this? The game development community takes themselves far less seriously.

We troll the fuck out of each other just to spice up the day.
Mate, you gotta realize people do this stuff on their spare time. When you're using your own spare time to help others, you usually want to get to the meat of it and not get your own time wasted.
I guess whatever community you come from is far more casual. That's fine, just don't assume every community is the same - social rules are a very real thing.
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
kill the greeks?
We troll the fuck out of each other just to spice up the day.

good for you. we come here to learn
You can tell OP is a kid. Also age demographics for some gaming community and stack overflow are different. Not surprising they act differently.
I don't know what kind of gaming community @OP is coming from, but when you're interested in game console emulation and working out the bugs and kinks that go with it, shit gets technical like a Maserati.

Your general gaming community on Steam or (god forbid) Origin is mostly for "hey how do I complete x achievement" versus "hey the game engine's velocity function isn't working properly, need fix please". You get a much different tone in answers from the subjects of the two questions alone.

Having said that,
hoarders of bottom half sapien sectionals
drew a small smirk.

At the end of the day, you either understand what you're doing or you don't. And for those of us that don't (yet), gotta choose your words better.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.