slow to connect to internet

closed account (i8bjz8AR)
I didn't know if any one else ran into this problem. I dual boot on my laptop with windows 10 and linux 14.04. Its very quick on windows 10, but when i boot into linux and log in, sometimes it will take 1-3 minutes to connect to my wifi. I have fairly good wifi. This just gets annoying when i need to look something up quick. Any fixes to solve this? Also, are there any tweaks I can do to speed up the actual internet speed in general?
I see 14.04. So I'm guessing Ubuntu? If so then yea Ubuntu has some problems with the network adapter. I had Ubuntu got fed up with the lesser range and switched to Linux Mint.
closed account (i8bjz8AR)
Has Linux Mint been a lot better? I might have to do the same one weekend that I don't have any projects.
1 - 3 minutes to connect almost sounds like a timeout issue. How literal are you being with that estimate? See if there is any weirdness in your network connection debug logs: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingNetworkManager

If you have control over your wireless gateway then performing a wireless site survey to determine your best channel and map your wireless radios profile is going to be the first step toward improving performance. You can do this on your own with wireshark or even netsh if you know what you're looking at. Even if you can't move your gateway, maybe you can move your desk and switching from the default wireless channel almost always helps in urban\suburban areas IMO. Don't rely on the "number of bars" you're seeing on your connection; "signal strength" a nearly worthless metric even on the best of days.

After that, you should try to make sure that the bottleneck actually is your network interface and not, for example, your HDD.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.