• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Code review - <random> library user-crea

Code review - <random> library user-created toolkit

closed account (E0p9LyTq)
Several month ago I had downloaded a technical paper (pdf) on random number generation in C++11 and have been digesting the contents.

The paper: http://www.open-std.org/JTC1/SC22/WG21/docs/papers/2013/n3551.pdf

One part of the paper really intrigued me, the simple toolkit. I noticed it was written as stand-alone functions. I decided to see if I could encapsulate the functionality into a class.

Long story short, it works for me. But I don't know if there are potential problems that could show up, so would like some expert advice.

class URNG
{
public:
   URNG() {}
   ~URNG() {}

public:
   std::default_random_engine& GetGenerator() { return dre; }

public:
   void randomize();

public:  // generic random number generation functions
   int pick_a_number(const int from, const int thru);
   double pick_a_number(const double from, const double upto);

private:
   std::default_random_engine dre;
};

void URNG::randomize()
{
   std::random_device rd {};
   dre.seed(rd());
}

int URNG::pick_a_number(const int from, const int thru)
{
   static std::uniform_int_distribution<> dist {};
   using parm_t = decltype(dist)::param_type;
   return dist(dre, parm_t { from, thru });
}

double URNG::pick_a_number(const double from, const double upto)
{
   static std::uniform_real_distribution<> dist {};
   using parm_t = decltype(dist)::param_type;
   return dist(dre, parm_t { from, upto });
}

I do know that using default_random_engine will not work with GCC-based compilers, it is a known bug as several people pointed out in other topics. It seems to work with VS 2015 without causing problems.

This was done as a learning experience, there is a lot of real world considerations I deliberately avoided dealing with.

Was encapsulating the stand-alone functions in a class a wrong approach? Are there hidden "undefined errors" lurking that I don't see?
What's the point of making the distribution objects static?
What do you gain from the class over directly using the standard objects?
helios wrote:
What's the point of making the distribution objects static?

That was used when it was stand-alone functions as outlined in the working paper.

I was considering removing the static usage, it is useless/overkill for the way the class is structured, but hadn't done it yet. Now I will.

helios wrote:
What do you gain from the class over directly using the standard objects?

Better encapsulation of combining functions/functionality with an object.

There is no real need to do it beyond having a user-created library header file I can "plop" into a project. Declare an object and have functions I deem useful bound to the object.

Does creating a class encapsulating standard objects create problems that are unsolvable or bloat? I can't see any, but I'm not an expert.
Last edited on
I just don't really see the point. The standard classes are already a pretty good abstraction that separates the randomness source from the distribution. Merging them back together seems like a step backwards.
Why climb a mountain? I did this to see if it was possible.

Is this really comparable to climbing a mountain? I think it's closer to "I always go to the store next door by walking straight to it, but today I'm going to see if I can also do it by going around the entire block".
You've verified that, yes, indeed it is possible. Great. Is there any reason to do this this way?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.