• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Input on Which C++ Book Would be Best Su

Input on Which C++ Book Would be Best Suited for Me

Hi guys, I'm a comp sci major transferring to the uni this fall as a junior. I've finished my calculus, gen eds, and two important computer science classes. (Computer science I and II) Now supposedly....and I may be wrong....calculus, computer science I, and computer science II are the big weed-out classes for comp sci majors. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyhow, next semester will be my first semester at the university. I will be taking a UNIX/Network programming class, Discrete Mathematics, as well as a third sequence 300 level class Data Structures & Algorithm Analysis utilizing the C++ programming language. After a year of studying C++ and completing two fairly intensive 4 credit computer science classes....I feel dumb as a rock on software development (particularly the language of C++.) I feel like these two classes have not taught me to become experienced in the language but more have laid out a very broad foundation of which I can build upon. I feel as if I know the terminology of many of these features that do exist in C++ but I do not feel as comfortable as I believe I should be feeling writing programs.

Perhaps this is just the normal learning curve of computer science majors and everyone experiences this. Either way, I want to find a great book that I'm not forced to buy and use for a class. I want to buy a practical book that will teach me how to be an effective and efficient C++ programmer given a good work ethic. The list of books I've found is honestly way too many. Any input on books you have read to become fluent and successful in C++ would be super helpful. Thank you for reading!
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
Standard C++ - Books to buy (more than one!):
https://isocpp.org/wiki/faq/how-to-learn-cpp#buy-several-books

One book not on that list that I would recommend is Bjarne Stroustrup's
"Programming Priciples and Practice Using C++"
Last edited on
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
What books should I buy (or not buy)? - http://www.cplusplus.com/faq/beginners/books
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.