ummmm

Pages: 123
> I do believe "math" to be the more correct form

Both math and maths are correct;
While maths is a contraction (letters from the middle of the word are omitted) of mathematics mathematics ,
math is a shortening (letters at the beginning/end are omitted) mathematics

Contraction: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/contractions
Shortening: http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/shortenings

The 's' in maths is the very same 's' that is present in mathematics; it does not denote a plural form.
The shortening is commonly used in American English; the contraction is favoured in British and International English.
closed account (37oyvCM9)
I'm pretty sure that someone, somewhere could do with you doing something funny with your tongue instead of insistantly trolling with an insignificant and trivail point! :p
Both math and maths are correct
I'm saying that "math" is more correct.

it does not denote a plural form
Some people do mistakenly use it as a plural.
Last edited on
Who reported Helios and why, I don't get it
Darn. I wish report reasons were public, so we could what dumbass excuse they used.
> I'm saying that "math" is more correct.

I maintain that both maths and math are equally - unequivocally equally - correct.
Just as Dr (contraction, usually formal) and Doc (shortening, usually informal) are both correct.

> Some people do mistakenly use it as a plural.

Yes, there are people who do not understand that maths is a contraction of mathematics, which is an uncountable noun (aka mass noun) that happens to end in an 's'. Some of them argue that math is more correct than maths, while the others tend to use maths as a plural noun.
You can skip the condescension, thank you very much.
closed account (37oyvCM9)
I didnt report...its funny though
Huh I never really though of it as contraction vs shortening. I used to be against maths but now I see that both have some logic to them. I would still personally prefer math though, as an American. The argument of maths being mistaken for plural doesn't really apply because the same thing applies to the original form. I do agree maths feels weird in my mouth ;)
The argument of maths being mistaken for plural doesn't really apply because the same thing applies to the original form.
IMO, "mathematics" is wrong for the same reason. Imagine if you could talk about "mathematica", physica", or "mechanica".

Actually, that's a good argument. Brits refer to a single bicycle derailleur as a "mech", not as a "mechs".
http://gearmechhanger.com/
Last edited on
Just because a word is derived from Latin doesn't mean it follows the same rules. And anyway... mathematics is not directly derived from Latin. The chain is manthanein -> mathēmatikē (Greek) -> mathematika (Latin) -> mathematique (Old French) which becomes the old english 'mathematic', an obsolete singular form of 'mathematics' as used today.

And I'm sure you've realised this, but it's mechanic -> mech, which is fine.
Last edited on
Ooh! Sittin' on the settee with our scones and our mathematique.

It couldn't be "mechanic" because "mechanic" is either an adjective or a person, while "mech" is a noun for an object. I struck it because it could ambiguously come from either "mechanics" or "mechanism" (most likely the latter).
TwilightSpectre wrote:
The chain is manthanein -> mathēmatikē (Greek) -> mathematika (Latin) -> mathematique (Old French) which becomes the old english 'mathematic', an obsolete singular form of 'mathematics' as used today.
Nitpicking a bit:
I'm quite certain that you actually meant to say "which becomes the middle english 'mathematic.'" Old English as widely accepted by linguists had more or less no contact from the d'Oil languages of Northern France.

helios wrote:
Ooh! Sittin' on the settee with our scones and our mathematique.
I don't get what you're trying to prove here.
Just having some fun?

https://youtu.be/2xyJoQWl_PE?t=2m16s
@JagerDesu:
Ah, that's not quite I meant... though, in hindsight, I see how I was misconstrued. I meant "old" "english", not "Old English". Thanks for pointing that out, though. Always love a bit of nitpicking :)
Last edited on
WHY IS EVERYONE GETTING REPORTED!!!!!!!?!?!?!?

btw this will get reported, i know it lol
I must... fulfill the prophecy.
Why all of sudden did admin ban me??!

I can't imagine why. You seem like such a lovely and rational individual, which is why I found this goodness in my PM box...

Hey, stupid Yawzheek
I hate you, poof

EDIT: And I got the same message twice, just for emphasis, apparently.
Last edited on
@Yawzheek

I think VRGaming2 reported you in his savage raging. xD
Hmmm ....

@VRGaming3

Maybe your accounts were hacked somehow?
Pages: 123