• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Will Software Engineering still be in de

Will Software Engineering still be in demand in the future?

Hello, just out of curiosity. It seems like software engineering is on high demand in almost every country in the world. I have been checking out several country's skilled-shortage lists and you can almost always find software development on those lists. This means the job prospect for a software developer must be really high. Will it be like this in the future? By future I mean 10 or 20 years from now.

Will it be like this in the future?
For sure. The faster the hardware gets the more software can be used.

The next big thing are autonomic vehicles of all kinds. Robots etc. The factory buildings are getting more and more empty due to the controlling software. Home automation is another key word.

The need for software developer will certainly increase.

The problem are the stupid manager (as always) who are not able to grasp the potential of software.
I don't foresee a radical change in the demand and supply of programmers within the next 20 years. Software development has been a fairly lucrative technical career for several decades already, and we have yet to see a surge of new programmers, even as the demand skyrockets. To me, this suggests that either software development has a relatively high barrier to entry, or that it has a visibility problem.
Briefly, I don't know that the demand would increase. As helios suggested, it's not exactly a new industry, but it's certain to not decrease.

As coder777 also suggested, automation is the big thing which - while it has also existed for quite some time - is really picking up, particularly in the manufacturing sector. There will certainly be an increased demand for technical individuals, but whether they'll be primarily in software engineering is debatable.

I guess the thing to remember is that your grandmother and grandfather's ability to get a job on an assembly line out of high school, work it for 40+ years, and retire has definitely passed, and they're being replaced (though not nearly in the same numbers) by software engineers, electrical engineer, general handymen, and robots. Eventually automation is going to dominate most professions, and behind the automation will exist software.
who reported yawzheek...
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.