• Forum
  • Lounge
  • Should I update my windows 7 to 10 (29 J

Should I update my windows 7 to 10 (29 Jun deadline by microsoft)

Is upgrading to windows 10 worth it given that my PC already lags so much with windows 7? Also will this update offer developers and gamers anything?
Last edited on
Pretty much no (I think)
I would recommend you use Windows XP, it is at least more or less even faster than your current Windows 7 you are currently using.
@closed account 5a8Ym39o6 (310)

That's seriously bad advice IMO, are you trolling?
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
Since you are already using Win 7, and Win 10 is currently free, I would say "yes, do upgrade."

Win 10 is better (subjective opinion, yes) than Win 7 and Win 8. It is more stable. And it is the last Windows version to be created.

Doubtful it will do much to resolve a lagging problem, but it shouldn't get worse.

If you upgrade you can "roll back" to Win 7 if you want, the old saved OS will take up a large chunk of HD space.

At first I thought Win 10 was junky, but the updates released since I first upgraded make Win 10 easier to use. You will get the upgrades should you upgrade.

there is nothing EXTRA AFAIK targeted specifically at developers or gamers with Win 10, but nothing really detrimental either. Everyone who can run the OS will benefit equally.

Visual Studio 2015 Community seems to run better with Win 10 than Win 7.
Windows 10 is garbage. Easily the worst Windows version I've used.
http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/lounge/171890/

The update system makes it unusable for a developer, because you can't trust the system to run uninterrupted and unmonitored, even if you have a UPS.
Even if you're not a developer, I would say if you've ever had to run some process (copy, download, whatever) that took longer than 24 hours, Windows 10 is not for you.
@TheIdeasMan
That is the operating system I am still currently using.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
My workstation runs Windows 10, it is on 24 7. Yes I occasionally find I come in and it has rebooted but updates very rarely get in the way of my working day. It is a bit different on my laptop. I can turn than on and have to wait because it decides to do an update, I have been very frustrated on occasion with this.

For the most part I find it better than Windows 7 but there are a few thing that do annoy me on occasion.

As it is free (and you can always go back if you want, back everything up and if possible clone your drive) go for it and find out for yourself if it works for you and your system.
@Grey Wolf,

My two PCs, both recycled dual processor, are on 24/7 as well. I have never had an update reboot happen without me initiating the reboot. If I am not actively using either PC I run unattended software (BOINC) that pegs out the processors.

More than once I manually check if there is an update available, usually around the 2nd Tuesday of the month, and find out an update has been waiting for hours and days to reboot.
closed account (z05DSL3A)
FurryGuy,

Well I keep an eye on mine and reboots have been scheduled. If I notice it, it gets a reboot when I finish at the end of the day. If not...

Then I have noticed the schedule it is for three days or so, I could also go an play with advanced options or tweak the registry but I find that some things get rest every now and them so I don't bother. I can be annoying not being in full control of your system.

I can understand why Microsoft do what they do for Home versions but not for Pro.
aren't updates suppose to be good?
Updates are usually good, but MS dropped the ability for Win 10 users to install them when the user wants. Especially a problem with Home, AFAIK Pro and Enterprise users can only delay when updates are installed.

As with anything human beings create not every update MS creates works for all Windows users. Forcing people to update with a known bad update can be problematic.

What happens if MS update servers get hacked? Hello! Everyone is forced to be virused up.

Win 10 is the last official version will create, after it is installed it will be only patched.

there is nothing EXTRA AFAIK targeted specifically at developers or gamers with Win 10, but nothing really detrimental either. Everyone who can run the OS will benefit equally.

Actually there is quite a few things in Win10 that can help aid developers (Some which are targeted specifically at gamers or developers). Here is just a short list of things.

- OS Based Package Manager kinda (OneGet)
- MUCH better console experience with new features (Thank you for allowing me to use Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V for copy/pasting)
- Better Task Manager (Debatable if this helps some developers)
- Virtual Desktops

Those are just some of the more every day things that might aid developers in their every day work. There is obviously more new things in Win10 that developer can use to make developing better applications easier but those are more use case specific so won't get into them.

As for something that is targeted specifically at gamers and game developers I would have to say DirectX 12 which is Win10 exclusive. Though I will note that DirectX 12 isn't meant to replace DirectX 11, instead it is a more lower level API that game developers have been asking for. There is some benefits of using DirectX 12 though (Both performance wise and ease of use for developers) and to take advantage of those benefits you need Win10.

You also have to consider that many "users" have moved onto Win10 which means as developers we need to consider making use of the features that are in Win10, and in order to do that it is highly helpful to have a Win10 machine ;p. Though that is a bit of a different subject.

In the end the choice comes down to what you want to do. You will find both people who are adamantly for Win10 and those that are adamantly against it, but in the end what really matters is your opinion. So why not give it a try and see if you like it, if not you can always go back to Win7 and all you lose is a few hours doing the installations.
@Zereo: Not directly related to the topic, but weren't you complaining about issues you were having with OneGet in the IRC channel a few weeks/months ago? :D

EDIT: On topic, I have Windows 10 as part of a dual boot setup. My impressions of it left me feeling like it was par for the course for Microsoft post-XP. Not great, not unusable. It fixes some problems with prior versions of Windows and introduces new ones. I'm not a fan of the UI design, but that's subjective. That said, it's probably still worth updating while it's free. Most of the bigger issues with it (like forced updates) can be hacked around.

EDIT2:
shadder wrote:
aren't updates suppose to be good?
Yes, but... well...
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/04/23/windows-10-updates-new-crashes/
...this is Microsoft we're talking about.

-Albatross
Last edited on
Thank's everybody, I have decided to stick to the good old win 7 and the live linux usb, I may buy a new laptop anyways which I think will come pre-installed with win 10...

Also
FurryGuy wrote:

What happens if MS update servers get hacked? Hello! Everyone is forced to be virused up.

Don't we then have bigger things to worry about than a virus? Like a virtual apocalypse?
Last edited on
Not directly related to the topic, but weren't you complaining about issues you were having with OneGet in the IRC channel a few weeks/months ago? :D

Nope was complaining more about Nuget than OneGet, and that just had to deal with issues I was having with a CI system and Nuget packages :).

OneGet is a bit different in the sense that it is not a "Package Manager" per say instead it is more like a manager for package managers if that makes sense lol. Here is a good article about it https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/packagemanagement/2015/05/05/10-things-about-oneget-that-are-completely-different-than-you-think/
Unfortunately, I'm sure Microsoft has gotten more heat because of people refusing/procrastinating to update than they have for forcing them to update.

This wouldn't be a problem otherwise.

NOTE: That's not me defending Microsoft. It's me explaining their train of thought and that it may not be as irrational as it sounds. Remember that most people who touch a PC turn into complete idiots compared to anything else they do in life. I recently taught my father that he can minimize windows... after he's been using computers since the early 2000s. He still has the tendency of clicking ads that are completely malicious.

He is probably the more competent casual PC user I've come across.
I know its too late but if anyone else is in the same situation and is reading this i would recommend saving your windows product key (look for produkey)
upgrading save the product key from win 10 and sell it or keep it until you get a better machine, you can always revert back to win 7
The latest version of Win 10 (Anniversary Edition, 1607) patches up Windows in a massive overhaul means. Lots of changes; many good things, several that are infuriating why MS changed them.

1607 is almost an entirely different OS the way it is patched. Allowing for a roll-back if wanted, just as was done with the original upgrade from Win 7/8/8.1.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.